The context menu in windows explorer is missing for Windows 10 1803.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hejian Lin
    New User
    • Aug 2018

The context menu in windows explorer is missing for Windows 10 1803.

I have just done a clean install of windows 10 1803 without install any other software (except laptop drivers). but no matter which version of beyond compare I installed, no context menu for explorer present.

Is anybody find this issue? not sure it cause by the compatibility or I am doing something wrong.

I've done folloing things:
    1. install windows 10 1803;
    2. enable administrator and login as user administrator;
    3. start windows update to update windows 10 to the latest (some patches and drivers are installed);
    4. install beyond compare (3 / 4);

no context menu present.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Please verify the context menu is enabled in Beyond Compare 4's settings.

Run Beyond Compare.
    Open Tools > Options.
    Go to the Startup section.
    Check Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu.

If you have both Beyond Compare 3 and Beyond Compare 4 installed, the context menu can only be enabled for one version, not for both.

If you've checked the option and rebooted your computer and the context menu still isn't visible, please email your Beyond Compare settings to [email protected]. It's possible the issue can be fixed with a Windows registry patch. To save your settings to a file, open Help > Support and click the Export button.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Hejian Lin
      New User
      • Aug 2018

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. I have send my BC setting to [email protected]. It's really annoyed.

Thanks a million in advance.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We've emailed a registry patch that may help. Let us know how it's worked for you.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jnaclhj
          New User
          • Aug 2018

That's grate, it works and the context menu show again. But I found a problem. I just start to use the BC4. Proviously in BC3, I can select a folder as "Select Left Folder for Compare" in explorer context menu. and the select an zip file as "Compare To <previous selected folder>". But in BC 4 this feature does not exist any more. When I select a folder as left, I only can select another folder to compare previous left selection. Or select a zip file as left and only another zip file is available to compare to it in context menu. Which means that the explorer integration is only available for the selections with same type of file, which shouldn't be like that and BC3 works perfect in this aspect.

May I ask that if I want to bring back the BC3 feaure what should I do? Or do I have to downgrate back to BC3?

Thanks

Lin

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

This feature should be working. Have you rebooted since applying the shell extension menu changes?

If you right click a .zip, and another .zip and Compare, which Session type is loaded? The default behavior should be a Folder Compare, which if the case should also work with a mix of folders or archive selection.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Kvothe
              New User
              • Sep 2018

I appear to be having the same problem. I have emailed my settings file to the email address also.

Comment

• capricorn
                New User
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
                We've emailed a registry patch that may help. Let us know how it's worked for you.
                Please send to me as well.

I followed the discussion in another thread regarding the improper registry key {57FA2D12-D22D-490A-805A-5CB48E84F12A}. I have several keys in my registry that point to this key, but the key itself does not exist under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\

Thanks
                Karsten

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

You need to email into [email protected] with the requested/above information to receive the registry patch.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

The registry patch and instructions to fix right click menu issues in Windows Explorer are now available on our website.
                    https://www.scootersoftware.com/supp...?zz=kb_shellex
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Molle
                      Visitor
                      • Jan 2023

Download-Link from above isn't working anymore - is the Shellex Fix still possible to download anywhere?

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Updated link for the shell extension fix: https://www.scootersoftware.com/kb/shellex
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• tezoatlipoca
                          New User
                          • Jul 2023

Just wanted to chip in here - I use BC4 with WinNC (a Norton Commander two pane file shell) and have been experiencing the BC4 shell extensions disappearing. Not only was I happy to find this readily available, but the now 5 yr old regex fix mentioned above still had a working link!

Bravo guys. Best $35 spent evar.

Comment

Working...