• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RGood
    Visitor
    • Apr 2008

Dimensions CM 10 and BC3

Hello,

We use Dimensions CM 10.1.1 for all our config control. The tool comes with a compare/ merge tool but yours is much superior. I have successfully installed beyond compare as a differrence tool for files, but cannot prevent the native merge tool from firing up for folder compares and merges. Has any one successfully forced beyond compare 3 to do these activities. The procedure for setting up external tools is on page 68 of the Administrators guide. I have attached my native.properties file.
    Note that I have raised a query with Serena (the dimensions vendor) for BC2.4 but they have fobbed me off and turned my problem into an enhancement request. Any help appreciated. Great work visa vee the BC3 improvements by the way.

# Use default diff/merge tool
    USE_DEFAULTS=0
    #Diff/merge tools for all file extensions
    MERGE_TOOL="H:\Cirrus\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe"
    MERGE_PARAMS = "%a" "%d1" "%d2" "%d3" "%t"
    DIFF_TOOL="H:\Cirrus\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe"
    DIFF_PARAMS= "%a" "%d1"

%a substitutes for the ancestor %d for thwe derivatives and %t for the target

Cheers,

Richard
  • RGood
    Visitor
    • Apr 2008

Dimensions 10

Do you have any plans to support Dimensions 10 with Beyond Compare - this should be possible via the command line but isn't. I can only get it to do the file compare.

This would probably be worth your while as there is a big user base for Dimensions CM

Could you move this post into the version control forum - I have for some reason posted to completely the wrong place.

Thanks,
    Richard

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Your parms look out of order. Try:

MERGE_PARAMS = "%d1" "%d2" "%a" "%t"
      DIFF_PARAMS= "%d1" "%d2"
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• RGood
        Visitor
        • Apr 2008

Michael,
        Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that didn't work - I tried all sorts of variations on the same theme, but to no avail - it's weird because other diff tools appear to work just fine.

Regards,
        Richard

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Okay... I've never used Dimensions CM, so I guess I can't help you. Hopefully someone else on the forum can assist you...

By the way, why do you have "Cirrus" in the runtime path? Have you tried installing a recent build to its default location (\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe)?
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• RGood
            Visitor
            • Apr 2008

Thank you for the attempt. Frustrating in that I have read both sets of documentation and it seems as though it should work. It would be nice if I could use a file monitor utility to see whats going on, but IT services have tied us down too tight.
            I would imagine that Serena (the dimensions vendor) would give a free license to Scooter to facilitate this integration as it enhances their product and makes customers like me a bit happier, its probably about an hours work for the right person, but I think there is something getting in the way of it working at the moment as I have tried many variations on the theme and can't even get beyond compare to fire up as the merge tool let alone do the operation
            If anyone from Beyond Compare is listening - could you perhaps talk to Serena about this issue?

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hi Richard,

Yes, we're listening. I was hoping someone who actually used Dimensions could chime in. I'm downloading a trial now and I'll let you know if I find anything.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Richard, I sent you an email with a zip attachment requesting more information. Let me know if you don't get it.
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Richard, in case my last set didn't get through either, I sent responses to you on Monday morning. If you still aren't getting them I'll stick the file on our website for you.
                  Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...