X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phillipsjm
    New User
    • Jul 2006

Can a Script display the results in the GUI

Using a script, instead of sending the differences output to a file or printer is there a way that I can display the results in the Beyond Compare GUI, as if I was doing this comparison by opening Beyond Compare manually.

My current script file is show below. How would I change this to show the results in the Beyond Compare GUI?

report format:00d output:<printer>;cl "C:\Data_Dir\CSharp Projects\Source_Compare\bin\Debug\Test_MBS.txt" "C:\Data_Dir\CSharp Projects\Source_Compare\bin\Debug\Prod_MBS.txt"
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Can a Script display the results in the GUI

Scripts can't open the BC GUI.

It is possible to pass file names on the command line for BC to open.

Example:

BC2.exe "C:\Data_Dir\CSharp Projects\Source_Compare\bin\Debug\Test_MBS.txt" "C:\Data_Dir\CSharp Projects\Source_Compare\bin\Debug\Prod_MBS.txt"

If you just want more colorful report output, BC can output to html as well.

Last, the report command is deprecated. In newer versions of BC, we suggest using the folder-report and file-report commands as described in the Command Line & Script section of the help file.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• willum
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2006

Hi Chris,

Let me explain my challenge:
      1. We use RoundTable as Version Control Software
      2. I have written a Progress program that extract two workspaces from the repository and compare them with BC. (Extract the files from both workspaces and compare the two result files.. not a big deal :-)

So far so good.

Now I would like to have in the program a radio set with:
      1 Compare repository
      2 Compare workspace directories

So when the radio-set = 1 it compares the repository.

When radio-set = 2 it has to do the following:

1 compare two directories with all sub-directories: (If possible, don't display some specified data directories)
      2 read-only: Obvious
      3 filter objects: only compare source code
      4 Do only a crc/size comparison: because the date/time of the files differs, do only a crc/size comparison
      5 Open it in the GUI

I have the following command line parameters:

BC2.exe wspaceid1-folder wspaceid2-folder /readonly /filter=-*.r,-*.le,-*.log,-*001,-*.dat

I have tried some scripting things, but as you already mentioned.. it can not be opend in the GUI.

Now my questions:

1: Can I exclude specified (data) directories?
      2: Can I force a CRC comparison and no Date-Time comparison (Without changing the default settings of BC2?)

If above questions are answered with No.. Please consider it a whish.
      [Edit]Found answer 1 .. so that's 50% of the problem solved !! [\Edit]

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

2. It isn't possible to set comparison criteria from the command line.

The two options are:

a) Change the default comparison criteria using Session|Set Default - Eliminated by your requirement of not changing defaults.

b) Load a saved session. The filters, comparison criteria, etc, can be saved as a session, then you can use the command line:
        bc2.exe "my saved session" to load the comparison.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• willum
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2006

b) Load a saved session. The filters, comparison criteria, etc, can be saved as a session, then you can use the command line:
          bc2.exe "my saved session" to load the comparison.
          Chris, option b should be a great option, if only not also the the directories was mensioned in the session file (Session.bcse)
          so i could use bc2.exe "my saved session" dir1 dir2

Or if the session file was a xml file (or any other text base file) so you could be change the file 'on the fly'.

Comment

Working...