Suggestion: File extension wildcards

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion: File extension wildcards

In one of my projects i frequently need to compare one code base that uses a .cc standard for source files and another which uses .cpp. The files are largely identical, but of course BC doesn't compare file.cc against file.cpp because of the differing file extensions.

What i would like to suggest is adding some feature which informs BC to treat .cc and .cpp as the same extension and compare them anyway.

Yes i can force it when i compare one file at a time, but i need to do this when comparing large codebases spanning multiple folders.

My work around right now is a complex dos command... for /R %i in (*.cc) ren blah blah blah... line which i always forget.

Anyway... thanks for listening. I can't live without BC!
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Suggestion: File extension wildcards

In Beyond Compare 2.4.1, there is a way to ignore file extensions for matching up files.

In the Folder Viewer, select Session|Comparison Control. Go to the Advanced tab. Check "Ignore file extensions". Click OK. Select View|Full Refresh.

The .cc and .cpp files should be aligned with each other.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Very cool. I had an inkling that something like this was in there, but didn't find it. It would be nice to have some sort of mapping table of extensions to consider the same, but this works pretty good as it. Thanks!

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I'm glad to hear that helped.

Mapping extensions is on our wish list for a future version of BC.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...