• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roelandsch
    Journeyman
    • Nov 2016

Hangs when using Android device

Hi,

When comparing files on an Android phone, BC will usually hang at some point (often while copying, but it also happens while comparing). Sometimes the hang resolves after a couple of minutes, sometimes it doesn’t.This happens with every Android device (with versions ranging from 4.x to 7) and on every Windows system (7, 10) I use.

(as an aside, MTP has a reputation of being a poor protocol, and the Android implementation appears to be particularly bad. But it seems BC is affected much more badly than eg. Windows Explorer)

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot this issue?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

MTP access can be slower than accessing a harddrive, but most devices recover. Do you have an antivirus or extension that might be a 3rd party interacting with the device and BC4? Or, maybe an odd issue, but have you used multiple USB cords?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• roelandsch
      Journeyman
      • Nov 2016

Yes, I’ve used various USB chords, on various computers… USB2, USB-C, doesn’t matter.

My guess is that it’s a consequence of Android’s particularly crappy MTP implementation.

Maybe it’s a particular call which hangs. I can try to capture a minidump during a hang.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Any logs you capture, you can email in to [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread. The other things to note is just how large of a comparison you are running: how many total files, how large are the largest files, and are you running a content scan (rules-based, crc, binary) or have any of the criteria or columns visible that would need to open files (like CRC)?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...