• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dudido
    Visitor
    • Jun 2011

BC 4.0 (18847) crashing a lot on OSX 10.9.5

Hi,

today I was trying to sync a folder structure across Thunderbolt GB-LAN between a Macbook Air and a SFP share on a NAS , but somehow BC 4.0 (Build 18847) crashes a lot. Must have been already 8 times in the last 30 minutes.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, except for starting syncs & mirrors, or expanding folder structures, while waiting for the compare to complete. Somehow BC4 doesn't seem to enjoy multi-tasking within the app for me. I submitted crash reports to Apple. Any fixes for known bugs on the horizon, or any way to provide you with more information so as to quickly release a new version with a fix?

Thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is it possible to capture and email in the crash report to us? You can email us at [email protected] including a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

Is it possible to test the same sync (folder structure, size) local to local on the Macbook Air? This would help determine if it's the transfer of the files to the NAS or the files themselves that we're having trouble with.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dudido
      Visitor
      • Jun 2011

Hi,

if you can advise on how to capture the crash report I can try some time collecting and mailing the reports.

A local to local sync will not be possible - I don't have that kind of diskspace on the MBA.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

When Beyond Compare crashes, it should display a dialog with crash information titled "Crash Report". In the crash report dialog, click "Save Report" to save the crash report as a text file, then email it to [email protected].
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• dempson
          Enthusiast
          • Apr 2008

OS X also saves each crash report to a file which it keeps for a limited amount of time, so you may be able to get some recent crash reports. The following details apply to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later.

The tidiest way to browse through them is to use /Applications/Utilities/Console. In Console, you need to see the log list (there is a button at the left side of the tool bar to show it), then look under the "Diagnostic and Usage Information" heading for the "User Diagnostic Reports" subheading. Each recent crash should appear under there, in a separate file mentioning the application name, date and time of crash, and a ".crash" suffix. You can select an individual report and save it using the "Save a Copy As" command.

If you want to look at the raw files, they are located in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (where ~ is your home folder). Library in your home folder is normally hidden in recent OS X versions, but you can get to it in Finder by holding down the Option key and choosing Library from the Go menu.

I can't confirm how quickly they are deleted as I haven't had any crashes for a while, and have no files in that directory. From memory, I think they are deleted after a month.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

In addition to saving crash reports in the location you specify with "Save Report", Beyond Compare will also save reports in the user settings folder. The folder location is "/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Beyond Compare/". Autosaved crash report files have names that include the date and time like "BcCrashReport-08-10-2014-163306.log".
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...