X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milgner
    New User
    • Aug 2014

Concrete plans for 64 Bit version?

The title says it all: are there any concrete plans for a 64 Bit version?
    Now that BC4 is in Beta anyway, I think users may be somewhat more forgiving if there are any problems.

The pressure to find a better mergetool is not yet high enough that I'd be willing to install a 32-bit multilib system for it, even if Beyond Compare looks very promising.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

We are looking into 64bit solutions and it is on our radar, but in the meantime BC4 is a 32bit application. On most modern 64bit Linux distros, using the i386.deb or .rpm installs the necessary backwards compatibility libraries automatically, and the others reside within our own install folder, and don't interfere with other 64bit applications on the system.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• milgner
      New User
      • Aug 2014

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm on Arch Linux and while I know how to install a multilib 32 bit system, I'm extremely apprehensive of pulling in dependencies that could take up to several hundred megs just for one tool. The maintenance overhead doesn't really seem to justify the benefits...

Comment

• y2kbugger
        New User
        • Jun 2011

I second this as a basic requirement before I can add beyond compare to my 64 bit system

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

64bit support is far from a basic enhancement request. It is definitely on our roadmap, but is a large project due to the tools we are currently using. If you want a more technical description, one of our developers go into more detail here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...1349#post41349

From our own internal testing and the wide range of users that test the trial, most popular 64bit Linux distros handle their 32bit backwards compatibility well, and Beyond Compare can run on these machines without issue alongside the other 32bit and 64bit applications.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
            Carpal Tunnel
            • Apr 2008

One plus point of 64-bit to addis it solves the current lack of Explorer pages from 64-bit apps: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...pages-omission

Comment

Working...