X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greymont
    Visitor
    • Jun 2010

Folder compare volume paths

I'm comparing a local folder with a shared folder via SMB networking. When entered the remote folder is smb://rabbit/common but when I look at the top of the folder compare window it changes to /Volumes/common. Then when I click on it it changes back to smb://rabbit/common.

Any way to make it stay the way I entered it?

Using Version 4.0 beta (build 17677)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The address of smb:// is a shortcut pointing to the folder we are actually loading in /Volumes/. Initially, we only supported loading the browsable /Volumes/ location, but have added support for the smb:// syntax to act as a shortcut.

The display changes to the actual address being used by the application. Does this help explain the behavior you are currently seeing?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• greymont
      Visitor
      • Jun 2010

Well, it is at least some more info.

The problem is: At the time I enter the smb: entry there is no corresponding folder under Volumes for that share. It it seems to be created by BC. If that is true, cannot BC remember what it did and display the original entry? Without that smb syntax I cannot tell at a glance what folders are local and what folders are remote.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 is following similar behavior as the Connect to Server command or Finder. Both of these mount to /Volumes/. We're just showing the real location that you are browsing instead of hiding it behind the connection address. We have similar address bar behavior for other system location variables (showing label text until you click, then the edit text is the real location). If you needed to browse the location in the Terminal, you would also need to use the /Volumes/ location.

I can add your request to optionally continue to show the smb:// path text in the location bar to our Customer Wishlist. At a glance, we should show "smb://" in the bar until you click into it. Is this not happening for you?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...