X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olhado
    Journeyman
    • Jul 2013

Zips modified by BC3 cannot be read by windows zip and ant zip task

I've frequently used BC3 to update the contents of a zip with a different package, and everything seems okay, but the next time I open the zip via Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I get an error. Retrying the action to reopen the zip, it works okay.

Similarly, these zips are deployed via ant tasks to windows boxes, and the engineers often complain that the files could not be opened/extracted when I've used BC3 to change the contents of a zip.

Has anyone else seen this and have a solution?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

What are the exact steps you are following to open BC3, view the zip, and edit the content within the zip? If it is within Ant, are you able to test the same script/command line from the Windows Command Line running as your current user instead?

Are you using the latest release of BC3 (3.3.8)? All BC 3.x updates are free for 3.x users.

I haven't seen any recent reports of this behavior. I also attempted to test by copying files into a .zip and opening using Explorer. We may need more detailed steps to help track this down.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• lhasadad
      Expert
      • Apr 2008

might help to include in the instructions for recreate the name and version of the program used to create the zip file. might be related to precondition in the zip.
      (before BC modifies it).

Comment

• olhado
        Journeyman
        • Jul 2013

The zip can be created by an ant task (ant 1.8) or via 7Zip.

The zips can be initially created on Linux or Windows. Likewise, I have seen the issue with BeyondCompare3 (3.3.8) on Windows and Linux.

I usually just drag and drop the 2 zips (or zip and directory) onto a newly opened BC3 window.

If I just do compares, the files are fine.

If I move a file from one zip to another, via the ctrl-L/R keyboard shortcut, or the UI button to do the same, the zip trips the issue.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

I tried creating zips with 7zip 9.20 and 9.22 beta, and I moved files from one zip to the other, then the other files contents to the previous zip (switching their contents), using BC 3.3.8 and the Folder Compare graphical interface.

What kind of files are you using to create the zip? If you use a set of basic text files and zip them, does it exhibit the same issue?

If you have a pair of .zip files you would like to attach or email us (then instruct which files to copy or move), we can try to reproduce with your files. If you email us at [email protected], please include a link to this forum thread for our reference.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• olhado
            Journeyman
            • Jul 2013

The issue isn't in BeyondCompare itself, everything appears fine. It's when opening them with windows built-in zip tool or when ant on windows runs the unzip task.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Using 7zip 9.20 to create a small test zip, I then copied content into the zip using BC 3.3.8. I then tried using WinRar and 7zip to "Test" the archive, and Windows Explorer (Windows 7 64bit) to extract the files. Everything still seems to operate normally.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, please use the graphical interface of BC3 and Windows Explorer (not BC scripting or Ant). The behavior should match, but just in case either is introducing any issues, it is best to keep the test case as simple as possible.

Did you make any customization to the BC3 install? Which version of the 7zxa.dll is currently in your Beyond Compare 3\ install directory?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcoldtimer
                Enthusiast
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by olhado
                I've frequently used BC3 to update the contents of a zip with a different package, and everything seems okay, but the next time I open the zip via Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I get an error. Retrying the action to reopen the zip, it works okay.

Similarly, these zips are deployed via ant tasks to windows boxes, and the engineers often complain that the files could not be opened/extracted when I've used BC3 to change the contents of a zip.

Has anyone else seen this and have a solution?

Thanks!
                I have seen BC3 having problems with zip files before. In my case the entire zip file got corrupted and even BC3 couldn't read it. BC support has reproduced the problem and presumably is working on it. Here is the thread:
                http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ad.php?t=12056
                Last edited by bcoldtimer; 01-Oct-2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

This might be related, if Ant creates completely empty zips in a similar way. I would expect to see the same entire corruption if the zip was large enough to trigger the issue. Perhaps the size of the zip is an issue here as well?

Emailing us a pair of zip files, if possible, would help us reproduce along with a BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export). If emailed, please include a link to this forum thread for our reference.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• olhado
                    Journeyman
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Aaron
                    This might be related, if Ant creates completely empty zips in a similar way. I would expect to see the same entire corruption if the zip was large enough to trigger the issue. Perhaps the size of the zip is an issue here as well?

Emailing us a pair of zip files, if possible, would help us reproduce along with a BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export). If emailed, please include a link to this forum thread for our reference.
                    Unfortunately I can't do that, as it is company code/executables.

The files were not necessarily big. They would have as little as a couple of Kb in them.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

If it is possible to create the blank files using the same process, but zip in junk text files instead of proprietary information, we could test with those. The files I have created with various programs and edit with BC3 haven't been able to reproduce the issue.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...