• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevepjohnson
    Journeyman
    • Dec 2007

Font handling on Linux

Looks like the font handling on Linux may need some more work

As I reported recently, I'm using XFCE on a RHEL build - "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)" according to the /etc/redhat-release file. My default font from XFCE is "HyGothic -Medium 10".

For Folder compare, with the default font "Windows icon font" (sic), initially the fontwidths are not calculated properly, ie for long filenames that get truncated in the display with "..." on the end, there's a bit of a gap from the "..." to the actual end of the column !

From there, bringing up options and then selecting some alternative fonts, (Folder views -> Display), initially the new font is used, and then the filenames up to the truncation "..." then fill the column. From then on selecting any fonts doesn't actually seem to change anything. This was by keeping the Options dialogue open and just using "Apply".

Interestingly, quitting and restarting, the last font selected then does show in the folder view. But the width is wrong again, and this time changing any fonts has no effect at all. However, switching back to "Windows icon font", saving and exiting, then gets it back to the original state.

When I first hit this, I also got a large error box appear after selecting a number of fonts whenever I moved my mouse over the font selection window, containing a large list of hex numbers (presumably a stackdump of somesort?). I think it did also say "Unexpected Exception" or something, but now with new runs of Cirrus I can't get that to happen again. I'm guessing a memory issue, because I had compared 3 or 4 large hierarchies beforehand.

When there is an error box / exception report in the dialogue, is there any way to get this text - e.g. is there a cmdline option or something to report this also to a file ? I don't know offhand of any text-capturing tool for Linux.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Steve,

Thanks for the bug reports.

I've noticed some strange behavior with the "..." display for truncated path displays.

Also, I reproduced the issue with the Apply button for fonts only updating the application the first time the font is changed.

Hitting Ctrl+C might allow you to copy the error text to the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere, but it doesn't log to a file. Hopefully we can improve this in the future.

Thanks again for the bug reports, I'll add these to our bug list to be fixed.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• stevepjohnson
      Journeyman
      • Dec 2007

Another little bug - may be font-related too ...

Just noticed another UI bug with the Linux version, although it's a bit of a stretch to call it a bug...

If you're viewing a compare, and one file is changed by a different tool, then Cirrus of course notices and pops up the message:

Seems the "Reload?" word that is shown on Windows when this happens is missing. So either you have different sources, or something odd with fonts is making that word in the message not show... If I remember I might try to check this on my Ubuntu install at home later tonight.

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the bug report. We can reproduce this here and we'll work on getting it fixed.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...