X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

Sync - Mirror to left exits ?

Have tried many times, but the mirror to left on a sync is exiting, rather than starting to mirror. Sometimes if I just select one path it works, but 95% of the time it simply exits. I adjusted the log details to view all details but nothing logged there to tell me why this is happening. The folder on the left is an external drive and there have been minor problems with it, so I assume that is the cause ??
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I notice you have Linux, but which OS/version are you running, and which version of BC4 are you running (4.3.4 is the latest)?

The first quick test is if you power cycle your computer and the external drive, does this help improve stability? Either could be in a bad state.

If you attempt a sync between two simple test folders on your Desktop\a vs Desktop\b, do you have similar problems?
    If you copy a test dataset into Desktop\a and Desktop\b (to be the same as your problem drive), does this have a similar problem?
    If you attempt a Sync from your Desktop\a to the problem external drive, but keep it small and simple, does this have the problem?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
      Fanatic
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
      I notice you have Linux, but which OS/version are you running, and which version of BC4 are you running (4.3.4 is the latest)?
      Kubuntu 19.10 , BC4 - 64 bit Version 4.3.4 (build 24657)

The external drive is suspect, and have been a few occassions where it has gone offline. I'm in the process of getting a new external drive. Thanks for your help Aaron.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

There's a known bug on some newer Linux distributions that causes the Actions > Synchronize commands to crash. It's on the bug list to be fixed. As a workaround, sync from the Folder Sync session type instead of from the Folder Compare.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
          Fanatic
          • Nov 2004

Thanks for your reply Chris. As the external drive is failing, I'm not using it anymore. When I get the new drive, I'll try and be aware of the possible bug.

Comment

• peterr
            Fanatic
            • Nov 2004

I bought a new external drive, same problem with Beyond Compare. Is there a method to debug this ? I had debug enabled in the logs but it shows nothing.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

If you sync from the Folder Sync session, is this workaround stable for you? This would let us know if this is the known issue.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                Fanatic
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
                If you sync from the Folder Sync session, is this workaround stable for you? This would let us know if this is the known issue.
                Thanks, I didn't know that feature was there. I tried it, and It worked fine, no exits, so a good workaround.

The message was
                "02/05/20 02:07:44 PM Successfully synchronized 20,857 items. Failed to synchronize 4 items. Completed in 1 hours, 2 minutes.
                at the finish. It would be great to display how many Gb was synchronised/copied, if that is an easy enhancement. It would help to compare the time taken by BC4 and the terminal command "cp".

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We currently show the total size before the sync, under the sync Operations dropdown (top left) of the Folder Sync. The log doesn't have a calculated total after the sync, but it's something I can make a note of enhancing the log feedback.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                    Fanatic
                    • Nov 2004

Okay, thanks Aaron.

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

The Linux Folder Compare Actions > Synchronize crash is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.3.5.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                        Fanatic
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris
                        The Linux Folder Compare Actions > Synchronize crash is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.3.5.
                        Thanks Chris. I tried it today and it works perfectly.

Comment

Working...