X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pauljmelia
    New User
    • Jun 2020

Beyond Compare launches as a background process

I've been using BC4 for years without any issues. I've just tried launching it today, there is no UI and when I look in Task Manager it has started as a background process. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (fast ring) build 20150.

I suspect it is something to do with the lastest Win 10 IP Build as I used BC4 earlier in the week, before the latest IP build, with no issues.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I've tried various compatibility settings, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm loathe to the previous Win 10 IP build.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare failing to display on launch is a known bug caused by Microsoft in Windows 10 Insider build 20150 (fast ring). We reported it using Feedback Hub in Windows 10.

To increase the priority of the bug, please upvote and/or comment on the report.

Problem title: Beyond Compare fails to display on Windows 10 build 20150
    Feedback Hub link: https://aka.ms/AA8r9z1

To workaround the issue until Microsoft fixes it, revert to a stable release version of Windows 10 or the previous Insider build. Beyond Compare 4.3.4 is fully compatible with Windows 10 official releases 1909 and 2004.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• pauljmelia
      New User
      • Jun 2020

Thanks for the update Chris, shame you can't upvote in the Feedback Hub any more, *sigh*.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Upon further investigation, this issue only affects 64-bit versions of Beyond Compare. Forcing a 32-bit install will workaround the issue until Microsoft releases a patch.

To force a 32-bit install of Beyond Compare on 64-bit Windows:

From the Start menu, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
        Run Beyond Compare's .exe installer with the /32 command line switch.
        BCompare-4.3.4.24657.exe /32
        If Beyond Compare is already installed, select Upgrade as the install type.

To determine if your install is 32-bit or 64-bit, run Beyond Compare and open Help > About Beyond Compare.

To return to a 64-bit install after Microsoft patches this issue:
        Uninstall Beyond Compare.
        Reboot the computer.
        Install Beyond Compare.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

This issue was fixed by Microsoft in Windows 10 Insider (fast ring) build 20161.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...