How to show (in Folder Compare) all files and folders with different timestamps?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pxstein
    Fanatic
    • Mar 2009

How to show (in Folder Compare) all files and folders with different timestamps?

Assume I use FolderCompare to compare two directory trees.
    I click on "Diffs" icon in toolbar and see all files which are different BY CONTENT/SIZE.

Ok, but how do I let BC show all files and folders which have (only) a different timestamp (but equal content)?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can control the current comparison criteria in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Here you could disable Size/Content comparisons, and only compare by timestamp. If Timestamp is the only criteria, then Show Differences will only show file pairs with different timestamps. There is also an option to enable a content (binary scan) and optionally disable "override quick test results" if you want files to be marked as different if either the Binary scan is different or if the Timestamp is different.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
      Fanatic
      • Mar 2009

I would like to revert to this thread and clarify one issue:

If I ENABLE "override quick test results" and I have two files with exactly the same size (and content) but different timestamps then this file pair is treated as equal anyway.
      Correct?

This is be misleading.

They are NOT the same.

Can you confirm this?

using a text label "quick test" is bad. I suggest to use a text label "files are equal if size is equal"

Thank you
      Peter

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Quick Tests is the subset of all tests at the top of the dialog that don't require opening (and downloading if needed) the files. The Requires Opening Files section is slower, and is the section that includes the option to Override Quick Tests.

What this means is if a file has the same size and different timestamps (and both timestamp and size are still checked) the files would be different. Each checked item contributes to the comparison. Different timestamps would assign the files a status of Newer or Older (different). The files are only equal if the timestamp and size both match.

Override Quick Tests is specific to if the more detailed scan returns different results. So, for example, the size is equal but timestamp is different, but a binary scan reveals the files are identical copies (with differing timestamps, a not uncommon case when dealing with some devices), then the Override Quick Tests option allows the Binary scan to override the size/timestamp information, and display the files as equal even though the timestamp is different. The timestamp is still displayed in the Folder Compare view as the Modified Column, and the Content scan results are in the center column between files.

The most common usage of this workflow is double clicking a file and viewing it runs a Rules-based scan, which can be configured to ignore specific differences (whitespace, comments, etc). The initial scan might show a difference in timestamp or size, but double clicking the file allows the user to resolve any differences within and when returning to the main view would show the files as content equal or different.

Override Quick Tests can also be disabled. Then, if any one checked item is different, the file pair is marked as different.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
          Fanatic
          • Mar 2009

Hello Aaron,
          thank you for the answer. I read it a few times but I am still confused.
          Maybe I am stupid. But I set the comparison option like shown in the attached snapshot.

When I compare now two large directory trees side-by-side in folder comparison view and click on "Diffs" icon in toolbar to let me show all differences folders or files (size,content or timestamp) then
          NONE of hundreds of folders with different timestamps (content inside is equal) are listed.

Why?

Time differences are days or even months

What do I have to change to let BC show me especially folders with different timestamps?

When I disable the checkbox "Skip if quick tests indicate files are the same" refers to files only (I need folders!).

Thank you again
          Peter
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Session Settings - Folder Compare.png Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	81117
          Last edited by pxstein; 18-Jul-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Ah, sorry, I see the confusion: BC4 does not compare folder timestamps. The comparison options only affect aligned file pairs. The folder coloring inherits the coloring of the file comparisons within it. The View menu -> Legend of the Folder Compare can help show the definitions of comparison colors (and folder inheritance of the colors).

The Modified column in the main Folder Compare view will always display the timestamps (if enabled). However, the display of the timestamp does not necessarily impact the comparison. If you disable timestamp in the Session Settings, Comparison, the timestamp is still displayed as a column (for files and folders).
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
              Fanatic
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Aaron
              BC4 does not compare folder timestamps. The comparison options only affect aligned file pairs.
              So that means I can NOT find out (=display/filter only) all folders with timestamp differences?

Hmm, that option should be introduced urgently in the next v4 release.

Thank you
              Peter

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Folder timestamps are very often updated externally by any interaction with the folder, and are generally unreliable. For example, outside of BC4, when copying with Explorer (or other programs), the initial copy of a folder will preserve the timestamp, and as soon as the first file is then copied into it (as part of the same copy operation) the OS updates the folder timestamp.

For the interface, using the colors of inherited file status allows users to accurately find/dig into sub folders to find differences.

Options to preserve folder timestamps is something on our wishlist, but is not a feature that will be added short-term.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...