X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mistrb01
    New User
    • Aug 2018

Change xml file location

I need to run Beyond Compare from a DVD. I would like to create a portable install on a removable drive, change the settings to point the location of the xml files to my c: drive and then copy the portable install to a DVD. I would then remove the portable install from my hard drive.

Is this possible? I would like to save my filters and some sessions. Otherwise, I would have to save everything to a text file and then copy/paste every time I open BC4.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

A portable install of Beyond Compare will always use settings from the portable install folder. It isn't possible to make a portable install use settings from an alternate location.

Create a portable install in a folder where you have read/write access. Run the portable install from the folder and create saved sessions and other settings. Then burn the portable install folder to a DVD. You'll be able to run the portable install from the DVD with your saved settings, however any session or other changes made when running from the DVD won't be retained.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mistrb01
      New User
      • Aug 2018

Is it possible to add as an enhancement in a future version?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

One of our developers told me it is possible to use settings in an alternate location.

Run BC's installer and select Create portable install as the install type.
        Delete the file BCState.xml from the portable install folder.
        If BCState.xml isn't in the same folder as BCompare.exe, settings are stored in %APPDATA%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4".

To store settings in a location other than APPDATA after deleting BCState.xml, edit the Windows Registry and create the following string value:
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scooter Software]
        "SettingsPath"="c:\bcsettings"
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...