Didn't there use to be a "check for updates" option?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gschizas
    Visitor
    • Sep 2010

Didn't there use to be a "check for updates" option?

I seem to remember there was a Help > Check for Updates menu option, but I can't find it anywhere. My help menu (Windows 64-bit, 64-bit v4.2.3) only has Contents, Context Sensitive Help, Scooter Software on the Web, Support, Enter Key and About.

Was it removed at some point (why?), have I removed it in some weird way (how?) or is it hidden under some other option (where?)

I'm only missing a who and when to make it a full journalist 5 questions

Anyway, is there any way to manually check for updates now?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Check for Updates can be removed as an option if the software is deployed by your IT dept and they set the option to suppress it or used the .MSI. Could that be the case here? A regular install using the setup.exe should include Check for Updates by default.

You can manually check for updates on our website, using the Download page and downloading the latest version's Setup.exe. Running this will patch your current install.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• gschizas
      Visitor
      • Sep 2010

It wasn't deployed by my IT department (it was my home PC, after all).

I found out what was going on though, after all, for some reason I can't fathom, there was a registry entry on my home PC that didn't exist elsewhere (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\DisableCheckForUpdates).

I'm just writing this down so that somebody else could find it in the future
      Last edited by gschizas; 05-Sep-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

That'd make sense if you'd ever deployed with MSI or added the reg yourself (unlikely, right?). Since you don't have to worry about IT getting upset with you editing your registry, if you remove that key that should restore Check for Updates.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...