X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vern
    Enthusiast
    • Sep 2005

Rename File by inserting a numeric string using Regular Expression

Select the following files to rename by inserting the letter "w".
    A.txt
    B.txt
    Old Mask: (.*).txt New Mask: $1w.txt
    The renamed files now contain the letter "w"
    Aw.txt
    Bw.txt

However, if instead of inserting the letter w, we want to insert a number (2015), the rename does not work.
    New Mask: $12015.txt
    We want the renamed files to be A2015.txt and B2015.txt. However, A.txt is renamed to $12015.txt and the other file is skipped.

Regular Expressions probably does not know if we are dealing with variable $1 or $12 or $120, etc. I searched online, but could not find a solution.

Does anyone have the answer?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The mask you would be looking for is:
    (.*)\.txt
    and a New mask of
    $1\2015.txt

The \ is usually the escape character for Regular Expressions. I also added it in the Old mask, as \. = ".", while just . is a mask character for any single character that just happens to match on . in this case.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

I do not know regular expressions, but I have a couple of ideas.
      If You choose "DOS compatible" and not "Regular expressions", You can use "?2015.txt".
      If the files have different names, such as "AAA.txt" and "BBB.txt", You can use "???2015.txt".
      Instead, with regular expressions, what happens if instead of "$12015.txt" You use "$1_2015.txt"?
      Does it work for You?
      I mean, I tested it and in my case it works, but You have to check if it is OK for You to have the "_" or another character to separate "2015" from the variable "$1".

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Working...