X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benifalk
    New User
    • Jun 2009

Slow startup

I have a computer (one that is not connected to Internet) where I have been using BC3 with great success. Today I have installed BC4 instead (uninstalled BC3 first).

The computer in question runs Windows XP (32-bit) SP3.

It turns out that on this computer it takes BC4 more than 10 seconds to start (BC3 would start almost instantaneously).

I presumed that it could be related to BC's attempt to connect to the Internet to check for updates and have disabled this option. That didn't help.

I checked Windows event logs and it turns out that the following events were generated in Application log during the installation (or so it seems):

Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

This is quite likely a problem on my computer. However BC4 seems to run correctly after installation. I am not sure that the startup delay is related to the above messages (in fact I believe that it isn't).

Attached please find my BC settings file.

In the mean time I have reverted to using BC3. Is there a way to debug this issue?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Beni Falk
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

A Process Monitor log might help troubleshoot. I checked with a dev and their hunch is something might be accessing something in a network location. Is BC installed in a default location, and is your AppData directory local or stored in a network location? Do you have any total commander plug-ins loaded, or are you loading any specific sessions (Load Workspace on Startup)?

The Check for Updates was a good hunch, and I would have also asked about that as well.

The bottom pane of the main view is also a web resource (with links to additional file formats, and tutorial videos). Would you be behind a firewall or other security software which might limit access to BC4?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...