Overwriting portable install of v3.3.5 with v3.3.7 still prompted to import settings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grindax
    Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Overwriting portable install of v3.3.5 with v3.3.7 still prompted to import settings

I had a portable installation of v3.3.5.

Today I created a portable version of the new v3.3.7 and then moved the contents of the v3.3.7 directory into the v3.3.5 directory, overwriting the files there.

Since the new v3.3.7 fileset didn't include things like BCPreferences.xml, BCState.xml, BC3Key.txt, etc. (i.e. these files weren't overwritten and were thus retained from my existing v3.3.5 install), I thought the upgrade would be seamless.

But when I launched v3.3.7 for the first time, I was still prompted to import settings, choose whether to use a tabbed interface, etc., as if it was a completely new install. Why?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

When you created two separate BC Install folders, each got it's own BCState.xml. When you merged, you replaced the old BCState.xml (with the tab settings, etc) with the new one that was never launched, so you saw the initial setup wizard again.

If you use the 3.3.7 installer, and point it straight to the Beyond Compare Portable\ directory, then BCState.xml is not replaced and everything updates without issue. You could also use the Portable Install's Help menu -> Check for Updates to update it.

The rest of your BCSetting.xmls should have been left in place, and the rest of your settings (BCPreferences.xml, BCFileFormats.xml, BCSessions.xml, etc) should all be the original, older versions with your 3.3.5 settings.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• grindax
      Fanatic
      • Feb 2011

Understood, thanks for clarifying and explaining Aaron.

Comment

Working...