File change not picked up in Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron
    replied
    If you would like to 'always' turn off Timestamp comparisons, use the Home screen's Saved Session list, expand the Edit session defaults folder, and select Folder Compare. Here you can then disable timestamps in the comparison tab and update the default. This will be used for all future folder compare sessions (but would need to be manually changed for any already saved ones).

Leave a comment:

• nmanole
    replied
    I think it was a case of user error here, since the first thing I usually do when I compare directories is to turn of timestamp based comparison. With that off, the size being the same, and BC3 not doing rules based compares until the file is opened, it just showed the files as being the same. I can see now that sometimes the timestamp compare is useful, if you don't want to incur the cost of the rules based compare all the time.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

Would this be the situation you are running into?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Are the timestamps and size not showing correctly in the Folder Compare compared to the Ubuntu Explorer? Does a BC3 Refresh (F5) or Full Refresh (Ctrl+F5) update them? Double clicking would run the Rules-based comparison, which would also return those results to the Folder Compare.

Leave a comment:

• nmanole
    started a topic File change not picked up in Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

File change not picked up in Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric)

Hi,

I did a search and replace across a set of files using find and sed using something like this:

find .-type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/search_term/replace_term/g'

When comparing directory trees, BC didn't show the the files as being different from a copy I had made beforehand. Only when double-clicking the files, did the compare show them to be different and BC changed their color to red. Trying to force a refresh/reload didn't help.

In case it is relevant, the changes were such that the file lengths didn't change. e.g. a version 2.5.1 was changed to 2.6.1.

Cheers
Working...