Is it Possible to Exclude all files except 1?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elpollodiablos
    New User
    • Jan 2010

Is it Possible to Exclude all files except 1?

I'm comparing 2 folders than contain dozens of different types of files, making including *.* very convenient. However, I want to exclude several types of files, such is exe's. That's easy, I exclude *.exe. What I can't figure out is how to exclude all exe's except 1, STIMAGE.exe.

I'm aware I could just list every file or file type I want in the include field, but that would require frequently updating that field, as more types of files are being added to the folder quite regularly.
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Sorry, I can't think of a way to do this in the current version of the product. I agree that it would be nice if BC3 could apply an include filter on a specific file after excluding all other files of that type... currently, however, the -*.exe wildcard will trump and nullify any include filters with a .exe file extension.

Adding file extensions to a filter as needed (as you've already suggested) is the only way I know of to accomplish what you want with a single fllter. I would suggest managing two filters: One to exclude the file types you don't want (i.e. -*.exe)... and the other to compare just the exceptions to those excluded file types (i.e. STIMAGE.exe).
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Note: If you plan to use your filters often, you can add them as filter presets from:
      Tools / Options / Folder Views / Filter Presets.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• elpollodiablos
        New User
        • Jan 2010

Thanks. Swiching between 2 different filters seems to be the simplest solution. Too bad regular expressions can't compactly describe the negation of a string.

Comment

Working...