• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buraam
    Visitor
    • Sep 2009

Compared Numbered Files in Folders

Hello,

First of all, I like your product a lot and use it all the time.

Now, I apologize if I'm asking a simple question, but if someone else has already asked a similar question, I haven't been able to find it.
    I need to compare a series of numbered files in two different folders. The problem is that the files have been renumbered, so File #1 in folder X does NOT correspond to File #1 in folder Y.
    The good news is that, although the numbers are off, they're all off by the same amount, so for instance File #1 in folder X actually corresponds to File #5 in folder Y, X2=Y6 etc.
    Also, all the numbers have a nice three-digit format. So the situation I have is the following:

FolderX\File001.jpg <-> FolderY\File005.jpg
    FolderX\File002.xls <-> FolderY\File006.xls
    FolderX\File003.txt <-> FolderY\File007.txt
    etc.

I could match the files up manually in the folder view, but there are hundreds of files. Is there an easy way to line them up?

Thank you
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Buraam,

That is a very interesting use case. Unfortunately, it is not something that Beyond Compare can easily support. We offer a feature called "Alignment Overrides", but it can only match if the difference is defined, such as:
    FolderX on the Left, Folder Y loaded on the right==
    *001.jpg <> *005.jpg
    *002.xls <> *.006.xls
    *003.txt <> *007.txt

If your file contents are identical, you may be able to use a Duplicate Finder software to find your duplicates, and then properly rename your files so they match again. Once the names match, you could easily load them in Beyond Compare and continue future comparisons.

The following is not supported by Scooter Software: Here is one article I found with Google (there may be other software recommendations in the comments of the blog post):
    http://lifehacker.com/5293767/fast-d...our-file-dupes
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• buraam
      Visitor
      • Sep 2009

Hmm... I think in this case, the rules-based contents of the files may be the same, but the binaries could be different. I believe Beyond Compare is the only file-comparison tool I've come across that can handle a rules-based comparison; most of the others I've looked at can only compare the binaries.

I had another set of data previously that was the way you described (Folderx\*001.*<->FolderY\*001.*) and I was able to successfully compare them, but I was puzzled by this one because it seems some extra files have been added, thereby skewing the numbering. (Actually, come to think of it, it may actually have been the other way around, some files deleted from one folder and the remaining ones renumbered to fill in the gaps.)

Ideally I would like to find which files are in one folder and not the other. At least by knowing the difference in the numbering I can have a guess and the probable number of extras, and it's relatively small. My thought was that perhaps I could batch-rename all the files to have consistent numbering and use the results of the comparison to help me find the extras by hand, but I was just wondering whether there was an easier way.

There are a couple of things I saw in other posts that may help me:
      In this case, I believe I know the area of the binary that might be different. If I could instruct the comparison to ignore that area, it might be a step in the right direction. Someone asked a question whether it was possible to specify the offset at which to start the comparison. At the time, the answer was that it's on the wishlist; has there been any progress on it since?
      I also found a thread called "Compare folders disregarding file names", which sounds very close to what I'm trying to do. I don't think we quite solved the original poster's problem, though!

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by buraam
        I don't think we quite solved the original poster's problem, though!
        I'm always writing vbScripts to help BC3 do what I want it to do.
        Here is one that will match your offset files and only open BC3 for ones that differ:

Code:
         Option Explicit

Const ForReading = 1
         Const ForWriting = 2

Dim WSHShell, fso, f, oFolder, oFile, BC3
         Dim strLeftPath, strRightPath, strLeftFile, strRightFile, strCmdFile
         Dim intOffset, intLeftNum, intRightNum, lngResult, s, i

Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
         Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

strLeftPath = "D:\LeftPath\"
         strRightPath = "D:\RightPath\"
         intOffset = 4

BC3 = """C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.com"" "
         strCmdFile = fso.GetAbsolutePathname(".") + "\compare.cmd"

If fso.FolderExists(strLeftPath) And fso.FolderExists(strRightPath) Then Call Main
         Set fso = Nothing
         MsgBox "Done"

' Iterate through files and compare
         Sub Main
             Set oFolder = fso.GetFolder(strLeftPath)
             For Each oFile In oFolder.Files
                 strLeftFile = oFile.Name
                 i = InStr(strLeftFile, ".")
                 s = Left(strLeftFile, i - 1)
                 intLeftNum = Val(Right(s, 3)) 
                 If intLeftNum > 0 Then
                     intRightNum = intLeftNum + intOffset
                     strRightFile = Left(strLeftFile, i - 4) & Right("00" & intRightNum, 3) & Mid(strLeftFile, i)
                     If fso.FileExists(strRightPath + strRightFile) Then
                         Set f = fso.OpenTextFile(strCmdFile, ForWriting, True)
                         f.writeline BC3 + "/quickcompare=binary """ + strLeftPath + strLeftFile + """ """ + strRightPath + strRightFile + """"
                         f.writeline "if errorlevel = 2 " + BC3 + """" + strLeftPath + strLeftFile + """ """ + strRightPath + strRightFile + """"
                         f.close
                         Set f = Nothing
                         WSHShell.Run """" + strCmdFile + """", 0, True
                         fso.DeleteFile strCmdFile
                     End If
                 End If
             Next
         End Sub

Function Val(strNumber)
             Dim i, s, intValue
             s = Trim(strNumber)
             intValue = 0
             If IsNumeric(s) Then
                 For i = 1 To Len(s)
                     intValue = intValue + InStr("123456789", Mid(s, i, 1)) * 10 ^ (Len(s) - i)
                 Next
             End If
             Val = intValue
         End Function
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

The code in the script above creates and executes a cmd file...which is a little hokey...but I was having difficulty returning the error code directly to vbScript. I'm not sure why, however, because it worked fine in my little test today:

Code:
           Option Explicit

Dim WSHShell, BC3, LeftSide, RightSide, Result

BC3 = """C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe"""
           LeftSide = " ""D:\Test\Left.sql"""
           RightSide = " ""D:\Test\Right.sql"""

Result = WSHShell.Run(BC3 + " /quickcompare=binary" + LeftSide + RightSide, 0, True)
           MsgBox Result
          Calling BC3 from vbScript directly should give you more flexibility in what you do with the results...whether that be outputting the results to a text file, or loading all file pairs with differences into multiple tabs in the GUI instead of only viewing the file pairs with differences one at a time like the cmd file option does.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• buraam
            Visitor
            • Sep 2009

Hey, I've just tried your script in #4. Looks like it's going to be useful. Thanks!

I do have a question... It seems to be opening the comparisons one at a time, and I have to close BC to get the next one. Is there a way to get the comparisons in separate tabs instead of closing it each time? Is that what you were trying to do in #5? I can't seem to get that one to work in my test. I just get a message box that returns "11", but no BC GUI. Am I missing something? The only thing I changed was LeftSide and RightSide to point to my files:

Code:
            Option Explicit

Dim WSHShell, BC3, LeftSide, RightSide, Result

BC3 = """C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe"""
             LeftSide = " ""I:\LeftPath\LeftFile 001.JPG"""
             RightSide = " ""I:\RightPath\RightFile 005.JPG"""

Result = WSHShell.Run(BC3 + " /quickcompare=binary" + LeftSide + RightSide, 0, True)
             MsgBox Result

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

No, script 5 was not a solution on a silver platter... it was a trimmed down example of calling BC3 directly instead creating a cmd script and waiting for it to close before moving on. I figured you'd be able to take the goods out of script #5 and apply them to script #4 yourself. It would look something like this:

Code:
               Option Explicit

Const ForReading = 1
               Const ForWriting = 2

Dim WSHShell, fso, oFolder, oFile, BC3
               Dim strLeftPath, strRightPath, strLeftFile, strRightFile
               Dim intOffset, intLeftNum, intRightNum, lngResult, s, i

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

strLeftPath = "D:\LeftPath\"
               strRightPath = "D:\RightPath\"
               intOffset = 4

BC3 = """C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe"" "

If fso.FolderExists(strLeftPath) And fso.FolderExists(strRightPath) Then Call Main
               Set fso = Nothing
               MsgBox "Done"

' Iterate through files and compare
               Sub Main
                   Set oFolder = fso.GetFolder(strLeftPath)
                   For Each oFile In oFolder.Files
                       strLeftFile = oFile.Name
                       i = InStr(strLeftFile, ".")
                       s = Left(strLeftFile, i - 1)
                       intLeftNum = Val(Right(s, 3)) 
                       If intLeftNum > 0 Then
                           intRightNum = intLeftNum + intOffset
                           strRightFile = Left(strLeftFile, i - 4) & Right("00" & intRightNum, 3) & Mid(strLeftFile, i)
                           If fso.FileExists(strRightPath + strRightFile) Then
                               lngResult = WSHShell.Run(BC3 + "/quickcompare=binary " + + """" + strLeftPath + strLeftFile + """ """ + strRightPath + strRightFile + """", 0, True)
                               if lngResult > 1 And lngResult  Then WSHShell.Run BC3 + """" + strLeftPath + strLeftFile + """ """ + strRightPath + strRightFile + """"
                           End If
                       End If
                   Next
               End Sub

Function Val(strNumber)
                   Dim i, s, intValue
                   s = Trim(strNumber)
                   intValue = 0
                   If IsNumeric(s) Then
                       For i = 1 To Len(s)
                           intValue = intValue + InStr("123456789", Mid(s, i, 1)) * 10 ^ (Len(s) - i)
                       Next
                   End If
                   Val = intValue
               End Function
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• buraam
                Visitor
                • Sep 2009

Oh... yeah... thanks! hahaha

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yeah, I got that #5 was just a sample, so I was trying my own little test first before putting it into the larger script. Looking at the command you're calling, I thought the objective was to open a window with the results of the comparison between LeftFile and RightFile. Am I wrong? Is that not what it's doing? My point was that I'm not getting the GUI at all, just a message box with a number in it. How do I find out the meaning of the return values? I'm not really familiar with BC's CLI, but I can see I'm going to have to start studying it.

I was also thinking that with some modifications, a similar script might also be able to help larryvega in "Compare folders disregarding file names": for each file in Folder X, compare it to EVERY file in Folder Y, and report back on whether a match was found and if so, which pairs. Granted that a rules-based comparison could be prohibitively slow depending on the amount of data, if the files are expected to be the same with only the file names having been changed, a quick comparison may be sufficient.

I've actually already resolved the specific issue I had when I posed my original question, but the problem intrigues me. In both cases (mine and larryvega's), the files are expected to be the same, but the difficulty arises because they have been renamed in a manner which may or may not be known. Now that you've given me my first introduction to scripting BC, I'm thinking that may be a workable solution for the general case where the filenames are not known ahead of time.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                  Carpal Tunnel
                  • Oct 2007

I provided an updated script in post #7. Didn't you try it?

We call BC3 first with the /quickcompare parameter to get a return code. Everything you need to know is in the BC3 help file under the Command line reference:

/qc=<type>, /quickcompare=<type>
                  Performs a quick comparison of the two files and sets the DOS ErrorLevel on exit. <type> can be size, crc, or binary, or can be left off to do a rules-based comparison. ErrorLevels are documented below.

Level - Meaning
                  0 - Success
                  1 - Binary Same
                  2 - Rules-Based Same
                  11 - Binary Difference
                  12 - Similar
                  13 - Rules-Based Difference
                  14 - Conflicts Detected
                  100 - Unknown error
                  101 - Conflicts Detected. Merge output not written. (Merge Sessions Only)
                  BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• buraam
                    Visitor
                    • Sep 2009

Yes, the updated script works great.

Okay, time to break out the reference files and start studying for next time.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• chrisjj
                      Carpal Tunnel
                      • Apr 2008

> Unfortunately, it is not something that Beyond Compare can easily
                      > support. We offer a feature called "Alignment Overrides", but it can only
                      > match if the difference is defined

BC could easily support this and a similar requirement of mine by making "Alignment overrides" accept a pasted list. Rather as Name Filters does - very well.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Oct 2007

I don't believe a pasted list would necessarily have helped this user. If there were orphans or missing files on either side, it would cause an easily producable list to align the wrong files against each other.

What this user wanted was a way to programatically determine and align files on side B based on the name of the files on side A. For example, capture the numeric portion of the file name and increment it in a regular expression, then align the matching file if it exists.
                        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• chrisjj
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Apr 2008

> What this user wanted was a way to programatically determine and align
                          > files on side B based on the name of the files on side A.

The case is:
                          So the situation I have is the following:

FolderX\File001.jpg <-> FolderY\File005.jpg
                          FolderX\File002.xls <-> FolderY\File006.xls
                          FolderX\File003.txt <-> FolderY\File007.txt
                          etc.

I could match the files up manually in the folder view, but there are hundreds of files.
                          Why could those name pairings not be generated externally and the list pasted in?

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                            Carpal Tunnel
                            • Oct 2007

Such a list could be prepared externally, but editing and preparing a paired file list of hunderds of files would be a potentially tedious effort... not something that an average end user could be expected to be able to do.

In my opinion, a more flexible regular expression alignment would be much more useful to the vast majority of users. Automation is the key. Being able to paste in a manually prepared list might be useful to some users... but would be far less useful over all than a solution that would allow users to automate advanced file alignments programmatically.
                            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Zoë
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by chrisjj
                              Why could those name pairings not be generated externally and the list pasted in?
                              In the original request buraam said that the pairings weren't know beforehand because some files had been added/removed and the rest renumbered. His request is really just another vote for a rules-based "find duplicates".
                              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...