• Show
Clear All
  • knut
    Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Sync with default "only selected"

Hi,

I just changed from BC2 to BC3 and detected a problem:
    When I sync folders, all files are synced, even if the folder is closed.

Now I detected the flag "Nur Auswahl" (sorry, I use the German version, something like "Only selected", Screenshot attached.) which seems to solve my problem.

But I found no option to declare this flag as default. Is there one?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello knut,

Default behavior has changed slightly in BC3. Folders now respect file filters. If you select a folder, it is similar to expanding the folder and selecting the non-filtered files inside of it.

In BC2, the Sync command would sync everything, but had options to control if you synchronized only visible items.
    In BC3, the Sync command by default will sync all non-filtered items (even if they are in collapsed and closed subfolders).

To get a similar sync as BC2, you can use the Edit menu -> Select All Files. This will only select the visible files, and not select any in collapsed folders or the folders. Then perform the Sync command with "Nur Aushwahl"/"Only Selection" enabled.

This command should remember the state it was last used. So if you enable it once and perform the Sync, it should be enabled the next time you use the dialog.

Please let us know if this option is or is not properly remembering its last used state. Is this the behavior you are seeing?

We are also considering changing the initial default of this option to be On, so new users will have this option set to On the first time they use Sync.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• knut
      Enthusiast
      • May 2005

Hello,
      Originally posted by Aaron
      To get a similar sync as BC2, you can use the Edit menu -> Select All Files. This will only select the visible files, and not select any in collapsed folders or the folders. Then perform the Sync command with "Nur Aushwahl"/"Only Selection" enabled.
      In my tests the command "Nur Aushwahl"/"Only Selection" was the only thing I needed. Select all was not necessary.

This command should remember the state it was last used. So if you enable it once and perform the Sync, it should be enabled the next time you use the dialog.

Please let us know if this option is or is not properly remembering its last used state. Is this the behavior you are seeing?
      In meantime I closed a few time BC3 and I never got the last state, it was always off.
      (Up to now, I tested only ftp-sessions)

We are also considering changing the initial default of this option to be On, so new users will have this option set to On the first time they use Sync.
      For me, this would be perfect.

I expected the possibility to define the default anywhere in "options".

Thanks for your quick answer,
      Knut

Comment

• knut
        Enthusiast
        • May 2005

Hi,
        a little update - now I understand why you talked about "Edit menu -> Select All Files".

My cursor was on a top-level folder or on no explicit folder, so I selected implicit everything. And now BC keeps also the standard if I select a folder.

And a little correction of my request: My problem is not the selected/not selected, but collapsed/uncollapsed.
        In the past (BC2), the folders must be open to be synced. If the folder was was collapsed, nothing was done (I don't go through the subfolders automatic).

Let's see, if I can change my way of using BC

Knut
        Last edited by knut; 06-Aug-2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks, knut.

Yes, BC3 no longer has the "Only Visible" option. Users generally found the option a bit confusing and we also now changed the behavior of selecting a folder selects what would be Visible if it were expanded controlled by filters.

You can still get the Only Visible Workflow by using the Select All Files command, which selects only visible files, then perform the sync on Only Selection.

Otherwise, the Sync works on everything, or works on the selection. But if the Selection includes a collapsed folder, it will sync everything inside of that folder as if you expanded it and selected its contents.

I hope that helps clear things up. Let us know if you still have any questions.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...