Comparing Mozilla(Firefox) Bookmarks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing Mozilla(Firefox) Bookmarks

I am a long time user of Beyond Compare and have really enjoyed this program.

Recently I attempted to compare two versions of my Mozilla Firefox Bookmarks. This browser uses the Netscape format of saving bookmarks. Everything is marked as "different" becuase there are several fields such as "ID" that are different even if everything else is the same.

So my question is, has anyone been able to use Beyond Compare to succesfully merge and compare different versions of your bookmarks.html file from either Netscape, Mozilla, or Firefox?

Thank You!
  • Ernie
    Fanatic
    • Mar 2004

Re: Comparing Mozilla(Firefox) Bookmarks

You could always tweak your ruleset to have those tags ignored as Unimportant Text.

Use the menu combo Tools -> Options -> Rules and edit the HTML rule set. Click on the Importance tab and hit the New button in the Unimportant Text group. Select the Regular Expression radio button and enter something like: ID=".+?".

You can also add entries to ignore LAST_MODIFIED=".+?" and LAST_VISIT=".+?"

Comment

Re: Comparing Mozilla(Firefox) Bookmarks

You could always tweak your ruleset to have those tags ignored as Unimportant Text.
      Thank you for your ideas! That is exactly what I was wanting to do. I added the following items to the unimportant text: "ID" "LAST_MODIFIED" "LAST_VISIT" and "LAST_CHARSET".

Thanks again for the help. Now it is really easy to merge my bookmark files.

Comment

Working...