X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coder
    Visitor
    • Aug 2009

Changes in a ClearCase directory

Is it possible to compare a Clearcase directory and all its files against the same directory and the same files but tagged with a different (release) label? I suppose this would be helpful to see all changes occurred between two software releases, e.g. labeled by Rel1 and Rel2, side by side.
    I hoped that adding of @@/main/Rel1 and @@/main/Rel2 to a directory path in a ClearCase would achieve my goal but it doesn’t. When I compare directory <some CC path>@@/main/Rel1 against <the same CC path>@@/main/Rel2 the BC shows all files as empty directories. It seems like it tries to compare the CC archives.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can use the BC3 Pro feature Alignment Overrides to create logical alignement rules such as
    *-Rels1.* <> *-Rels2.*
    To match file names with the postfix filename-Rels1.txt to filename-Rels2.txt.

If you are still having trouble, could you Expand All your folders and send a full screen screenshot to [email protected] and include a link back to this forum post.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Lutz
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by coder
      I... When I compare directory <some CC path>@@/main/Rel1 against <the same CC path>@@/main/Rel2 the BC shows all files as empty directories...
      This is normal ClearCase behaviour if you use version extended names in the directory path. All file elements within are provided as virtual directories containing all versions of this elements (e. g. 0, 1, 2, ..., LATEST, CHECKEDOUT, Rel1, Rel2, ...).

Your directories only select the DIRECTORY VERSIONS labeled Rel1 on left and Rel2 on right side. All file element versions within are the same on both sides! Added or removed file elements will show up as orphan folders on either the right or the left side.

I can't explain why you don't see the file element versions, do you have any file name or display filters active (the display filter only show differences would suppress all file element versions because they are same on both sides)?

If so, you may follow Aarons suggestion and set the alignment override to "Rel1" <> "Rel2" (yes, it's only the name of the label).

Greetings Lutz
      Last edited by Lutz; 23-Oct-2009, 04:50 AM. Reason: added display filter example

Comment

Working...