X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbuedel
    Visitor
    • Mar 2009

No syntax highlighting when BC invoked by SVN diff script

I've hooked up BC as my svn command line external diff tool, as described here. I'm doing C# development on windows.

The first problem is that I have no syntax highlighting. I suspect the problem is related to the fact that the extension on the left hand file is .cs.svn-base instead of just .cs. However the detected file type is shown as "C,C++,C# Source" on both left and right panes (which is correct. They are csharp files.). Any suggestions on this?

Second, if I use the /title1 and /title2 parameters then two things happen. First BC shows those little rectangles that typically are put in place of unrecognized unicode characters, both in the window title bar and the filename textboxes. They appear between the end of the filename and the opening parens (where the parens contain the revision info). Second, upon exiting BC returns an exit code of 13, which causes svn to terminate instead of invoking diff on the remaining files.

I am also using TortoiseSVN and the diff integration works exactly like you'd expect. Syntax highlighting, et.

Thanks,
    Josh
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

How does using the /vcsleft /vcsright /vcscenter and /vcsoutput instead of /titleleft, /titleetc work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jbuedel
      Visitor
      • Mar 2009

Using /vcsleft and /vcsright took care of the unwanted exit code - thanks.

Still have the other two issues, lack of syntax highlighting and the little rectangles.

I am guessing the /vcscenter and /vcsoutput are for 3 way merges. I haven't wired it up for 3 ways yet so I am not using those vars.

Thanks,
      Josh

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

If your file extensions differ on one side, you can try going to Tools\File Formats, and adding the longer file extension to the C, C++, C# Source format.

Also, syntax highlighting can be turned off. Make sure the option is enabled on your View menu.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

The little rectangles are the tab character, which Subversion uses to separate the filename from the revision number. You can work around it by either changing all your file formats so they match everything after the extension (eg, *.cpp*), or you need to pre-process the specs externally before passing them into BC. Since you're on Windows you might try something with PowerShell or bash if you have cygwin installed.
          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...