X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vladsch
    Visitor
    • May 2007

New Data Viewer does not prompt for rules file

I installed the new plug-ins and noticed that the data viewer no longer prompts to open pre-saved rules file like the previous version.

It goes right into the rules creation and there is no way to open a rules file (.bdcv) once you are in the data viewer.

This is a big pain because I created rules files for most of the data formats I work with and these rules files are all in one directory (not same directory where files are being compared)

Is there a way to get the data viewer to load a rules file?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: New Data Viewer does not prompt for rules file

The current functionality is how the dataviewer is supposed to work in the release version. If you would like the old behavior's dialog, please email [email protected]
    and we can email you the old version of the plug-in.

We are looking to improve this user interaction in BC3.

In the current version, you can place a .bdcv file in the same directory as the Left-Side .csv, both with the same name before the extension. BC will then use this rule.
    You can also place a default.bdcv in the Left-Side's folder, and it will use that by default.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I have a copy of the old plug-in and will replace it for now but the old behavior is not ideal just a bit better than the new.

Why not add an "Open Rule" in the file menu so the rules file can be located anywhere?

A nice to have would be a default directory for rules. That way the rules can be organized in one place.

Having rules files peppered all over the place, especially when they need to be synchronized after tweaking is not ideal.

I agree that the old functionality of always trying to open a rule file is a bit off the wall but forcing to have a copy of the rule file in the same directory as the left file with the same name does not seem like a better solution.

I would have to have copies of the same rule file for every file. This means I have to copy the rule and rename it before I do a compare. Considering how comfortable everything else is in BC2 this stands out as "weird".

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for all the feedback. The way rules are stored will be improved quite a bit in version 3. Version 3 Data Viewer rules will work much more like File Viewer Rules work in BC2.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...