MP3 Compare: How long should that take?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3 Compare: How long should that take?

How long should it take to compare two 5MB (or so) MP3 files?

Re: MP3 Compare: How long should that take?

How long should it take to compare two 5MB (or so) MP3 files?
    I may have answered my own question. Was getting extreme delays on MP3 file compares, like over a minute. I believe it was because no DirectX sound driver was installed. Not sure why that would make a difference in speed of comparing ID3 tags, but that appears to be the case.

Also odd that nothing was really affected except speed. The comparison did work and gave coherent results.

I don't remember seeing a progress bar during compare process when the DX driver was not present.

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

The Mp3 viewer includes the ability to play mp3 files using Windows Media Player libraries. It might have been timing out while trying to find a playback device.

Normally comparison in the Mp3 viewer should be very quick.
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

The Mp3 viewer includes the ability to play mp3 files using Windows Media Player libraries. It might have been timing out while trying to find a playback device.

Normally comparison in the Mp3 viewer should be very quick.
        Yeah, that was the strange thing. I couldn't figure out why it suddenly started running so slowly (over a minute to compare a short file!) I had removed the sound hardware in preparation for changing it.

Given the extreme slowdown, shouldn't the plugin either sense this more quickly or have an option to bypass the hardware check?

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

I tried reproducing this, but I haven't been successful so far. What version of Windows are you running? Did you delete your soundcard from the Device Manager, or was there some other place you deleted drivers from?
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I tried reproducing this, but I haven't been successful so far. What version of Windows are you running? Did you delete your soundcard from the Device Manager, or was there some other place you deleted drivers from?
            Sorry that I missed your reply earlier.

Operating system is XP Pro, SP2.

The computer in question had an expensive multichannel audio system which unfortunately did not include regular WDM/DirectX drivers. Only high-end pro audio drivers. So initially, the software should not have seen any DX drivers at all. But the DX SDK was installed, and could conceivably have some bearing.

Installing an additional (more generic) USB soundcard solved the speed problem.

I still think your original observations were correct, but I don't remember any DX drivers having been installed on this system in the past.

Comment

Working...