X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tigerlady
    Visitor
    • Aug 2005

Word Wrap

I am evaluating beyond compare with exam dif pro. With Exam Diff I can turn on word wrap so i do not have to scroll back and forth on the bottom. I like beyond compare for many other reasons but find the scrolling back and forth to see full lines of code to be quite annoying.

If there is a way to turn on word wrap I will purchase.

Thank you.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Word Wrap

Sorry, the current version of Beyond Compare doesn't have a word wrap feature. Word wrapping is on our todo list for a future release of Beyond Compare.

As a workaround, you can limit the line length to force BC to wrap at a fixed number of characters, but the current version won't compare across the forced wraps so it probably won't be to useful. To set the line length, select Tools|Edit Current Rules. Change the "Maximum Line Length" setting to force a wrap.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Please ADD MY VOTE to your list of people who want to see WORD WRAP (i.e., "wrap to window") in the file compare viewer.

(As I'm sure you're aware, wrapping should NOT alter line numbers. This is why [of course] the "maximum columns"--which forces a wrap after a certain number of characters--is not the real solution.)

Thanks for listening!

Comment

Note also that the beginning of MATCHED SECTIONS (by line number) should stay in sync (vertically on the screen) when viewed in side-by-side mode...

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. Word wrap is on our list to include in a future version of Beyond Compare.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

One comment about word wrap that may make it easier / simpler feature: If you could at least "zoom" in on a pair of lines in a wrapped window, that would greatly help me see what the exact differences are in a 2000+ character length line.

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Are you aware of the "Search|Next Difference In Line" command (Ctrl+Shift+N) in Beyond Compare? This will cycle through differences within the current line.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• cowwoc
                Journeyman
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris
                Are you aware of the "Search|Next Difference In Line" command (Ctrl+Shift+N) in Beyond Compare? This will cycle through differences within the current line.
                Six years later, still waiting on this feature. CTRL+SHIFT+N is nice but isn't good enough in my book (the movement is jarring and I lose sense of context in the process). Please add support for word-wrapping.

Thanks,
                Gili

Comment

• sanG
                  Journeyman
                  • Feb 2011

You could always use the Session > Text Compare Report... with word wrapping
                  That's what I always use when I'm comparing files with very long lines of text.

It would not be to hard to create a custom file format that passes a text file though a script /utility that puts a line return after X number characters on every line. In fact I was able to a proof of concept. I just added the text " \u25BC\r\n" every 60 characters and on save removed that same string (kinda a hack but works).

I agree it would be nice if beyond compare supported native text warping but I could see how it would make aligning both sides much harder.
                  Last edited by sanG; 22-Apr-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• ricardopereira
                    New User
                    • Mar 2019

One more here! Lack of word wrapping is killing me. Please add support for word-wrapping or I will consider to move to another application.

Comment

Working...