X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nlewis
    Journeyman
    • Oct 2015

BC 4.1 Slow Scrolling

I just updated to BC 4.1 (from 4.0) on Linux and my scrolling is significantly slower, particularly when using the mouse wheel. I flick my mouse wheel to scroll quickly and it seems that BC 4.1 is slow enough that it is missing scroll wheel input - they do not appear to be queued - scrolling happens at whatever slow framerate BC 4.1 can manage now.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Which Linux OS are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit? When you updated, did you use a repository update or the in-application or website update to upgrade to the 64bit version? BC4.1 adds 64bit support, but a repository update would continue to update with the 32bit version. You can get the 64bit .deb or .rpm from our website here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nlewis
      Journeyman
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Thanks for the report. Which Linux OS are you running and is it 32bit or 64bit? When you updated, did you use a repository update or the in-application or website update to upgrade to the 64bit version? BC4.1 adds 64bit support, but a repository update would continue to update with the 32bit version. You can get the 64bit .deb or .rpm from our website here:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
      I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and the 64-bit version of BC4 (4.1.1 build 20615) with KDE4. I used the 64-bit .deb to install.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you email your current BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export so we can see a copy of your settings? A pair of sample files might also be useful. I setup this environment in a test vm but scrolling is responsive. Our email is [email protected] and please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

Also, can you verify the Help menu -> About dialog to make sure BC4 is reporting as a 64bit install?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nlewis
          Journeyman
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Could you email your current BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export so we can see a copy of your settings? A pair of sample files might also be useful. I setup this environment in a test vm but scrolling is responsive. Our email is [email protected] and please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

Also, can you verify the Help menu -> About dialog to make sure BC4 is reporting as a 64bit install?
          Help->About is reporting 64-bit Edition.

As an example, just opening this file on the left (nothing on the right):
          http://textfiles.com/computers/DOCUMENTATION/4dos.txt

then scrolling as fast as possible (I have a logitech mx-500 that I can turn off the mouse wheel click and flick the wheel and it will scroll continuously for several seconds) it takes 55 seconds to scroll from top to bottom with only mouse wheel. In comparison it takes gedit about 2 seconds to scroll that same file top to bottom.

Comment

• nlewis
            Journeyman
            • Oct 2015

Any update to this? I just updated to 4.1.3 and the slow scrolling is still a problem.

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

I just tested the 4dos.txt file you linked on Kubuntu 14.04 with all available updates. Beyond Compare 4.1.3 scrolled a bit slower than Kate, which scrolled a bit slower than vim-gtk, but it wasn't slow enough to be problematic or be considered a bug.

What application are you opening the 4dos.txt file in that you consider as scrolling at proper speed with the mouse wheel?
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• nlewis
                Journeyman
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Chris
                I just tested the 4dos.txt file you linked on Kubuntu 14.04 with all available updates. Beyond Compare 4.1.3 scrolled a bit slower than Kate, which scrolled a bit slower than vim-gtk, but it wasn't slow enough to be problematic or be considered a bug.

What application are you opening the 4dos.txt file in that you consider as scrolling at proper speed with the mouse wheel?
                As stated above, I'm comparing against gedit (www.gedit.org) running on top of KDE, which takes 2 seconds to scroll through that 4dos.txt file, and beyond compare takes 55 seconds.

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Sorry I missed that you described gedit in an earlier post.

I discussed this with our Linux developer. The current version 4.1.3 doesn't expose a setting to control mouse wheel scrolling speed or follow system preferences for scrolling speed. I'll add faster mouse wheel scrolling on Linux to our todo list for a future version.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

As I was writing this up in our bug tracker, I also tested mouse wheel scrolling in BC 4.0.7 vs 4.1.3 and found 4.1 and newer scroll about 2-3 times slower than 4.0.7 and earlier. We'll work on getting this fixed.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• nlewis
                      Journeyman
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Chris
                      As I was writing this up in our bug tracker, I also tested mouse wheel scrolling in BC 4.0.7 vs 4.1.3 and found 4.1 and newer scroll about 2-3 times slower than 4.0.7 and earlier. We'll work on getting this fixed.
                      Thanks Chris. I did some digging of my own and found that KDE doesn't support system-wide scroll acceleration (which would be really great, in addition to selecting # of lines per scroll "click"), so presumably most/all Qt applications don't either.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/81356...to-wheel-speed

Comment

Working...