X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rumboogy
    Visitor
    • Jan 2014

Found a bug

I found in bug in the beta Mac version. I have been using BC to verify the accuracy of my TM backups. I am comparing my home directory to its equivalent location in the TM disk. Generally this works well and has helped me uncover a few directories that TM has been skipping for some reason.

But on running BC once, I few files on the source side showed up as missing. I checked and they were actually there (as expected). I refreshed BC and it still showed the files missing. I then closed BC and restarted it, then all was well. After running BC perhaps 30 times in comparing my TM backups this was the only time that it had this error. Which makes it hard to reproduce.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. Were there any file specific error messages in the log? In the Preferences dialog, in the Tweaks section, there are options for adding additional messages (including Debug Messages and Operation Details) to the Log, and to then auto-save the log to a file. If you think you might be able to reproduce this (randomly) in the future, could you enable these options? The debug would allow us to see how the folder list is being returned.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mightysprite
      Visitor
      • Jan 2014

What hardware are you using to host your Time Machine backups?

I don't have any great links since I just heard about this yesterday from a bunch of friends who've experienced corrupted Time Machine backups and missing files on Synology and ReadyNAS (suggesting an error in the interaction between Apple and Linux). There's a megathread here on discussions.apple.com that may be applicable to you.

In a nutshell, though, Linux and OSX have slightly different ideas on what's supposed to happen in the filesystem which can confuse Time Machine and all sorts of badness happens.

Comment

• Rumboogy
        Visitor
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
        Thanks for the report. Were there any file specific error messages in the log? In the Preferences dialog, in the Tweaks section, there are options for adding additional messages (including Debug Messages and Operation Details) to the Log, and to then auto-save the log to a file. If you think you might be able to reproduce this (randomly) in the future, could you enable these options? The debug would allow us to see how the folder list is being returned.
        Sorry, I did not look in the log. I did not change anything in the Preferences between runs. I just swat the problem and then re-ran the comparison and it was gone. I can enable the the Debug Messages and Operation Details and save logs.

I know it is hard to debug something that is not reliably repeatable. Sorry I could not give you more details from the actual occurrence.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks. It's tricky to track down things that cannot be reproduced reliably, but the details so far are appreciated and we'll certainly work with you to try and figure this out.

When/if you get the logs, you can email them to us at [email protected]. Please include a link to this forum thread for our reference. Thanks, again.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...