X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maurice
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2008

"Open With" questions

Why do we not have "Associated Application" as an option for "Open With" option? Without this I have to create new "open with" app entries for all apps that I might want to use this way...or navigate thru ...>Explorer > Open With...which is quite a bit further than before.

I had to create an "Open With" app before the option would show up in the Actions menu and the Context menu. This would probably not be a problem with the old default option "Associated App".

Also, in BC2, in a FOLDER compare window, I can right-click in the center column...selecting both the left and right side files, select open with associated application...and the app opens both files!! I'm working with .PDFs a lot, so it is very handy sometimes to send both to Acrobat. And that worked OOTB in BC2!!
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

"Associated Application" was replaced by the Explorer menu in BC3.

To open a PDF file in BC3 Beta, right click on a file in the Folder View. Select Explorer > Open to open the file in the associated application (usually Adobe Acrobat Reader).
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• maurice
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2008

How about moving the "Open With" and "Explorer" options to the top of the context menu?

Also, when I add %f to the path, Acrobat says it can't find the file. When I add "%f %f", the Open with option is added to the folder-view context menu when both sides are selected (ie click in middle column). Path I'm using in "Open With" Applications:
      "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" %f %f

Single side "Open With" has no problem opening in Acrobat is no "%f" present.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

We originally had the "Explorer" option listed near the top of the context menu when it first appeared in Beyond Compare 2. On some systems with many shell extensions installed, it takes a long time to list the Explorer menu. We moved it to the bottom of the list in the current BC2 and in BC3 to make it less likely for a user to accidentally mouse over the menu and hit a possible slowdown generating the menu.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

For Open With, BC doesn't place quotes around file paths that contain spaces. Adding quotes around %f should help.

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%f" "%f"
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• markf_2748
            Expert
            • Apr 2008

"Open With" belongs at the top

I have been using BC2 daily for over 2 years and I agree completely with Maurice. "Open With > Associated App" is very useful and should remain as a visible option at the top of the Folder View RMB context menu. In the BC3 beta it is too far away at the bottom of the menu inside Explorer. Once inside Explorer context menu, you have to further traverse to the middle or top of that menu. Too much travel for something I use many times a day.

If you insist on hiding away the "Associated App" option inside Explorer, then at least place "Open With" at the top of the context menu so that my Tools > Options > Open With customization is at the top.

I also find that right clicking in the center column, as Maurice mentions, is a really useful feature. It is a great way to open up two Explorer windows with a single click so that files can be quickly manipulated from folders within Explorer. Also good for quickly opening two files in their native application. Sad to see this Open With feature disappear in BC3 beta.

I also made a suggestion in the BC2 Beyond Help forum on Sept. 1, 2006, saying it would be useful if there was an option to have double clicking on a file name open that file in its associated app instead of the file compare window.

Strong suggestions for a great product.
            Last edited by markf_2748; 25-Apr-2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• markf_2748
              Expert
              • Apr 2008

top vs bottom of context menu

One observation: the RMB context menu automatically adjusts itself to be either "drop down" or "fly up", depending on its length and current location of the mouse pointer on the screen. If it does not fit as a drop down, then it becomes a fly up, in which case the bottom of the menu is the shortest travel distance from the mouse! Same behavior holds for the BC3 Actions submenu. Probably, for most users most of the time these menus appear as drop down.

BTW, I have never experienced (on Win XP) the alleged issue with the Explorer menu inadvertently opening up and delaying things. As long as I run the mouse past the Explorer option at a reasonable speed then it does not open up at all.

So while I would like to see Open With at the top, IMHO the more important Folder Compare issues are to (1) restore Assoc App to Open With, (2) restore Open With to the context menu when clicking in the center column with BC2 functionality of opening both sides, and (3) provide Option to automatically open with Assoc App when a file is double clicked, bypassing the menus altogether (some of us use the file compare feature rarely, but use file/folder open all the time).

BTW, thanks for adding the folder icon with two up arrows for Up One Level On Both Sides. That is a feature which I (and perhaps others) requested some time ago. Nice to see it.
              Last edited by markf_2748; 29-Apr-2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Erik
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by markf_2748
                One observation: the RMB context menu automatically adjusts itself to be either "drop down" or "fly up", depending on its length and current location of the mouse pointer on the screen. If it does not fit as a drop down, then it becomes a fly up, in which case the bottom of the menu is the shortest travel distance from the mouse! Same behavior holds for the BC3 Actions submenu. Probably, for most users most of the time these menus appear as drop down.
                This is standard Windows behavior. It's not something special we're doing.

Originally posted by markf_2748
                BTW, I have never experienced (on Win XP) the alleged issue with the Explorer menu inadvertently opening up and delaying things. As long as I run the mouse past the Explorer option at a reasonable speed then it does not open up at all.
                The slowup depends on which applications you have installed that add to Explorer's right click menu. It may not be an issue for you but it definitely is for others.
                Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• penguin22
                  Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2007

I started a thread similar to this a while back in the Cirrus days, but felt it be worthwhile to chime in again. I can understand the decision to remove the Open With for redundancy purposed, but also have used the Open With>Associated Application and Open With>Explore options very often, the later when selecting two folders.

Moving the Explorer to the bottom is a good idea for the Shell Extension slowdown reason, but I agree that it would be very helpful to move Open With back to the top, even if the options have to be manually recreated.

Also, there had been mention of having the help show some common examples. The Open With>Explore now shows on individual files as well as folders, I believe in BC2 that this was not the case. And the Open With>Associated Application would make a great second example if you really decide to keep them out.

Comment

• markf_2748
                    Expert
                    • Apr 2008

Folder View FYI: the following customization (which is consistent with RMB Explore in Windows start) works on files in BC3 beta:

Tools > Options... > Open With
                    Description: Explore
                    Command Line: explorer.exe /n,/e,/select, "%f"

Check "Accepts files" and/or "Accepts folders" for individual entries to configure their Open With visibility.

(Also see Lutz )

---------------------------------------------------------------

In BC2, I find there is a built-in Open With > Explore for folders but not for files, so there I use the following customization for files (since this also shows up for folders in BC2 I give it a unique name):

Description: MyExplore
                    Command Line: explorer.exe /n,/e,/select, "%f"
                    Last edited by markf_2748; 14-Jun-2008, 12:22 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

• JohnFLand
                      Expert
                      • Jun 2008

In BC2, I assigned "Ctrl-Enter" to mean "open with associated application"; how do I achieve the same result in BC3?

John Land

Comment

• JohnFLand
                        Expert
                        • Jun 2008

OK, workarounds for the apparent inability of BC3 to run a file with the associated application:

1) Write a macro (I uses Macro Express 3) to run Alt-A, X, O. Causes a blank menu to momentarily popup.

2) In the BC3 "Open With" dialoga, create an item with this Command Line: cmd /c @start "" "%f"

Causes a black command window to momentarily popup.

Comment

• maurice
                          Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2008

#2 works great! Thanks. Is there anyway for this to pass both left and right side file names when both left and right are selected? Otherwise, with a keyboard shortcut, I have to open each side separately. definitely better than current right-click option!

The only way I could open both sides is to pass "%f" "%f" directly to the application...as my earlier question was answered:
                          "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%f" "%f"
                          (plus a keyboard shortcut also, of course).

Comment

• JohnFLand
                            Expert
                            • Jun 2008

I suspect you'd have to write a batch file that uses a FOR loop to pass each %f input parameter to the START command.

Comment

• Chris
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Maurice,

To open each side in a separate instance of the program, use a single %f in the command line. Then click the Advanced button in the Open With configuration and check "Multiple instances".
                              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...