X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goldsy
    Enthusiast
    • Nov 2007

White space diffs

In BC2 it was quite easy to pick out white space differences such as trailing white space that had been trimmed. In BC3 I find that I have to toggle focus between the two edit lines at the bottom of the form and watch the position of the cursor to infer this. Is there a color option or some other option that will make white space differences visually noticeable?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Tim
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Jeff, try enabling View | Visible Whitespace. Does that help?
    Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• goldsy
      Enthusiast
      • Nov 2007

Yeah, I suppose that will do. I think that it creates too much noise to keep it on all of the time, so I created a shortcut to Visible Whitespace so that quickly toggle it on when needed. When a section is flagged as changed in an area that I know I haven't modified, I just like to be sure that it was MultiEdit automatically trimming trailing spaces rather than some accidental modification.

I think that it will work better to confirm tab to space conversions too. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

Please restor BC2 functionality in Text Details

Originally posted by goldsy
        In BC2 it was quite easy to pick out white space differences such as trailing white space that had been trimmed. In BC3 I find that I have to toggle focus between the two edit lines at the bottom of the form and watch the position of the cursor to infer this.
        I have long wished that the pink high-lighting ended when the content of the line ended. Non-existent lines (hash marks) do not have a pink background in a change section. Neither should non-existent characters (in my humble opinion). I brought this up many moons ago, and feel the same way today. I don't think I'll ever come to appreciate this deviation from BC2.

Although I would prefer to see the pink shading only follow actual characters everywhere in Cirrus (including the Full-Edit panes) I can understand that doing so in the Full-Edit panes might pose some additional challenges. I agree with Jeff, however, that it would be most beneficial to have terminated back-color shading in the Text Details (or fill the empty space with hash marks). This preserves BC2 funtionality. In BC2, background color was not terminated in the main panes, but was in the edit lines below the main panes.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Tim
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

I think it's because BC2 has two modes in the Line Details area: display and edit. The display state delineates the end of the line, but notice that the edit state doesn't. In Cirrus it's always a live editor down there.

I also have always liked the BC2 scheme. We'll look into getting this into the next release.
          Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Jobol
            Enthusiast
            • Dec 2007

I have a suggestion that will help with the white space while keeping the noise away from the main interface.

Take a look here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/cirru...hread.php?t=99

Comment

Working...