X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lfosdal
    Visitor
    • Mar 2004

XML compare - urgently needed

I am wading through huge amounts of XML that needs to be validated these days. If there is ANY good XML compare tool out there - I would be delighted to hear about it.
    As for XML compare in BC- it just cannot arrive fast enough. I would be more than happy to beta test what ever you have got.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: XML compare - urgently needed

The best way to compare XML with the current version of BC is to use the XML/HTML Tidy plugin found on our additional rules page at:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...c=kb_morerules
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Need XML compare as well. XML-tidy no good: xml should be compared on element level (each tree) and not per line. Comparison always breaks the structure of XML in a terrible way.

<a>
      <b>one</b>
      </a>

and

<a>
      <b>zero</b>
      </a>
      <a>
      <b>one</b>
      </a>

comparison should see that the first <a>...</a> in the second file is an orphan, but the normal comparison (even with XML tidy) does not.

K

Comment

As I see it, there is a big hole in the XML compare arena. On the one hand you have ExamXML that compares single files at a time, and quite correctly compares the content of the XML, not the order of the xml elements, but doesn't provide directory comparison. Then on the other hand you have Altova XML Spy that allows directory comparison, but doesn't ignore element order.

I need something that allows directory comparison of xml files (over 12,000 of the blighters!), but compares the content of the xml, not the order of the structure.

If you could provide something like this (and I appreciate it is not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination), it would be a huge and very colourful feather in your cap!

Cheers Chris

Comment

I completely agree! An XML comparison tool that ignores order would be SO HELPFUL in my everyday work. Right now I use BC to check the files but there is still so much manual work that I need to do because it does not ignore order. Please let me know if you find anything or if BC comes out with a product.

Comment

Just noticed that Altova have released DogDiff, oops, sorry DiffDog, which is an XML diff tool

But I'd much prefer to have XML diff in BeyondCompare
            - I still think it's an essential tool on my desktop, and I'm always telling the guys at work that they should get a copy

Cheers,
            Steve C.

Comment

DiffDog 2005 Professional Edition is an XML-aware file and directory diferencing utility. www.altova.com/diffdog

Comment

Hi, I was reviewing the posts here on an XML compare. I also have the need to compare an xml file where the comparison needs to ignore the order and truely tell me if the files are logically the same.

I was wondering if this had been addressed already?

Thanks,

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

The XML Tidy rule linked in an earlier post is your best option for comparing XML with the current version of BC. It standardizes formatting, but it won't reorder XML.

XML comparison where order isn't important is something we plan to feature in an XML plug-in.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

That's awesome.

Could you mention a rough time-table for when it might be available (be happy to be an 'early adopter')?

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

I'm not sure when we'll release the XML plug-in. We've made some progress on it, but it is stalled right now because or developers are focusing their efforts on BC3.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisgeorge
                        Visitor
                        • May 2005

Any further news on this. I think you'd get several beta testers for it ;-)

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

We aren't ready to beta test yet, but we do have a developer working on the XML plug-in.

If you send an email to [email protected], we'll let you know once we reach a beta testing stage. Also, if you email, please describe the type of XML comparison you're doing, if you need ordered or unordered comparison, and send a pair of example files if possible.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• vinisha
                            New User
                            • Nov 2008

XML Comparer

Originally posted by lfosdal
                            I am wading through huge amounts of XML that needs to be validated these days. If there is ANY good XML compare tool out there - I would be delighted to hear about it.
                            As for XML compare in BC- it just cannot arrive fast enough. I would be more than happy to beta test what ever you have got.
                            Obsolutely XML Comparer of wbcsoftwarelab has what you need.

Comment

Working...