X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GerryB
    Journeyman
    • Jul 2011

Finding minor changes to merge to radically different third file

I would like to use the three-way merge to compare two slightly different versions (say A and B) in order to modify a third version (C) that is radically different from the other two. What is the best way to set up the three way merge to do this?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would you be looking for something like this?:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...arallelupdates

The center pane of the text merge is considered the common ancestor of the left and the right side. Does A or B fit this role partially? C would almost certainly be the left or right side.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GerryB
      Journeyman
      • Jul 2011

Lets say that A is the oldest file and has been modified in small minor ways to create file B. Now I want to take those changes to another file (C) which is a descendant of, say, the A file, but quite a bit different. Different enough that it would be difficult to pick out the few changes from B I want to make, from amongst the other radical changes in C. I guess A would be the common ancestor of the B and C and could go in the middle. I tried that and it looks ok.

But now how do I select a line in the left-most pane to go to the merge output (which I want to be similar to the C pane)? When I press the blue arrow next to the line in the left pane it goes to the wrong line in the merge output.

Is there a way I can send you a screen shot?

Comment

• GerryB
        Journeyman
        • Jul 2011

Also is there way to go to only the next difference between the left and middle pane (in other words if for a given line left and middle are the same but only C is different, then that difference is skipped)

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you use the View menu -> Favor Right Changes, this will remove the coloring/difference marking of differences only on the right in the Output pane. If you place the cursor in the Output pane and use Next Difference, it will then not go to differences that are only on the right.

How does this work for you?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GerryB
            Journeyman
            • Jul 2011

In this case it does go to lines where a line has been added only on the right (this line shows as empty in both the left and middle panes but is not empty in the right pane).

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you post a fullscreen screenshot of this case? In my test setup, I do not see the right-only line as a difference once setup, and Next Difference does not highlight to it. Are you using the latest version of BC3 (3.3.5)? All 3.x updates are free for 3.x users.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GerryB
                Journeyman
                • Jul 2011

Screen shot hopefully uploaded

Comment

• GerryB
                  Journeyman
                  • Jul 2011

Uploaded screenshot as attachment. Sorry have no URL for "Insert Image", please instruct if attachment does not work.

Comment

• GerryB
                    Journeyman
                    • Jul 2011

Attached is a second example - took special care to make sure cursor is in output window when clicking Next Difference.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello,

I do not see the attachments on these forum posts. To use the attachment interface, you must be in Advanced Editing mode. If it is easier, you can email us at [email protected]. Please attach the pictures and include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GerryB
                        Journeyman
                        • Jul 2011

Thanks Aaron. Changing Text Merge's Session menu -> Session Settings, Alignment tab to "A merge conflict is: "Only different changed lines" makes it work.

Gerry

Comment

Working...