X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dansushi
    Enthusiast
    • Aug 2012

Japanese character encoding problem with SFTP between windows and linux

I'm getting a problem that happens when I compare folders with 'left' being a local folder on Windows 7, and 'right' being an SFTP folder on a Linux machine. Folders and files with Japanese text shows up on the Windows folder fine, but on the SFTP Linux side, the encoding is off and the text is complete gibberish.

I had originally copied the folders from Linux to a drive formatted as NTFS and then put that NTFS drive in Windows, and am now trying to compare them. I figured that this might have been a part of the problem.
    However, if I try to create a local folder (on Windows) with the name, "日本語" and then try to use Beyond Compare to synchronize/copy the folder over to the SFTP Linux folder, I get the error "Unable to create _____: A call to an OS function failed."

Is there some character encoding configuration area that I'm missing?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you go to the Tools menu -> FTP Profiles, and select your specific profile, in the General tab you can change the Encoding from "Detect" to the expected encoding. Does overriding this to UTF8 or Japanese Shift-JIS help?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dansushi
      Enthusiast
      • Aug 2012

Thanks so much! I knew it must be hidden somewhere. I changed it to UTF-8 and it's working great now!

Comment

Working...