X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gibbers
    Journeyman
    • May 2011

Alignment off for parts of the file.

Comparing two XML files with minor differences in node order I get large sections of the file that are just off. Even though the nodes are on the same line in both files it gets "confused" for 5-10 records and just marks everything as a diff. It then goes back to normal.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is the alignment off in BC3, or is the alignment correct but detecting the lines as different? Could we get a full screen screenshot of the issue? You can post it here or email us at [email protected]. If you email us, please include a link back to this forum thread.

A couple of quick pointers: you can toggle the current alignment settings in the Session menu -> Session Settings, Alignment tab, to see if different settings help with this scenario. You can also click into a text section to see the current grammar type in the bottom status bar. If the text is equal but showing up as red, this often means a difference in grammar on the left and right sides. Possibly an non-terminated string on one side.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Gibbers
      Journeyman
      • May 2011

Emailed with linkback.

It doesn't seem to be a grammar rule flaw. You can see there's some changes in the XML. Some new fields are added or fields are moved. It totally breaks the diff at some points and I don't understand why.

I've aligned the files so every main tag starts on the same line to try to help diffing. I've also tried setting the skew tolerance higher and that doesn't help.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the email. I most recently got back to you via email asking about how your current format defines unimportant, and if using the default Text format (or a New format with no grammars) impacts the comparison and alignment. Just let us know how those tests work for you.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...