• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apaladi
    Visitor
    • May 2012

Deleting orphan folders deletes the parents as well

Hello

I'm trying to delete orphan files and folders after a comparison. If I just select "rt.orphan.files" then it works as expected. If I leave "rt.orphan", it will delete the parent folders as well (all the way up to the base):
    Code:
    LOAD...
    EXPAND all
    SELECT rt.orphan
    DELETE rt
    I tried the graphical interface, same result. If there is at least one orphan subfolder (deep down the tree), then all parents get colored in blue, and running delete removes them as well (even if they contain files that are present on both sides).
    If this is by design, is there a way to select orphan AND empty folders? As far as I understand, the "select" command uses only the "OR" logic. Otherwise, is there another way of accomplishing the desired?

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which version of Beyond Compare 3 are you currently using? Is it the latest release (BC 3.3.4)? I just created a quick test case and did not see the same behavior you are reporting. Could you go into more detail on the exact steps and buttons you click in the graphical interface? The Delete option, for example, would have an option to "include hidden items" if there were hidden items in the folder that were to also be deleted, but in this case you would want that option unchecked.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• apaladi
      Visitor
      • May 2012

Yes, I'm using the current release 3.3.4.

I noticed that replicating the script on a test folder structure (small) works as designed. But in production, on few thousand folders, and close to a million files, the delete command below removes everything:

Code:
      FILTER "-XX;-YY" exclude-protected
      LOAD create:right "\\server\folder" "D:\backup"
      EXPAND all
      SNAPSHOT left output:"%temp%\snap.bcss"
      SYNC create-empty mirror:lt->rt
      FILTER "*.*" include-protected
      LOAD "%temp%\snap.bcss" "D:\backup"
      EXPAND all
      SELECT rt.orphan
      DELETE rt
      If I insert a folder-report command (after the second expand), then it also reports the whole tree in blue, not only orphans:
      Code:
      folder-report layout:side-by-side output-to:"report.html" output-options:wrap-word,html-color

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

For the generated report,

Lets work with the graphical interface first, since you mentioned you see the same behavior there and it is easy to receive immediate feedback and previews in the GUI.

Could you capture a video of your series of steps using a program like Jing?:
        http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
        *Please note, Jing is not a Scooter Software product and is not supported by Scooter Software

You can post a video here or email us at [email protected] with a link back to this forum post.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...