X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nog69
    Visitor
    • Apr 2012

Compare Folder Name with File Name

I'm trying to do a compare that matches folder names with file names. I have a situation where I have around 20 thousand files that have similar names to several thousand folders. I want to do a compare that lines them up with each other, so that I can easily move the files into their like-named folders. If I have to do this manually, it will take days, so I'm hoping there's a way to do this in BC3. I have the registered Pro version. Any ideas how to do this?
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare can't compare folder names to file names in the Folder Compare. If you dump both directory listings to text files, you can compare the text file in BC3's Text Compare.

To generate a directory listing, load the parent folder of the files or folders in BC3's Folder Compare. Select the files or folders, then use the "Actions > Copy Filename Command" to copy the names to the clipboard. Then open Notepad and paste the names into a new text file.

Once you have the two text files, load them in the Folder Compare. If you're having trouble with the comparison, you can mark part of the text (file extensions, etc) unimportant to hide those differences. See the Define Unimportant Text article on our web site for details.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...