Synchronizing same folders where one side was renamed.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Sorry, but we do not have an update for this at this time. BC3 does not currently support aligning by another criteria (to find the renames) or copying the file name across.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• superdantronix
      Visitor
      • Mar 2012

Updates

I bought the upgrade license at your recommendation that it would do what I was asking for.

When I stated how it still didn't work you said it was on the Customer Wishlist and nonchalantly apologized. This was two years ago, now. Any updates on this feature?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hi Dan,

In my original post, I thought you were attempting to align the renamed folders and offered a method to try the feature for free to make sure it met your needs. Re-reading the correspondence, I'm sorry for the confusion or lack of follow-up: I assumed the Alignment Overrides met most of your needs and allowed you to sync your files between the renamed folders. Renaming the folders themselves would need to be a separate task (either trimming with our Rename action, or manually renaming them with a script). If you had accidentally purchased BC3 Pro and found the current feature set would actually be unusable for you, I would have asked sooner for you to contact us at support@scootersoftware and we could work out a refund. In general, this is why we try to offer as fully featured a trial as we can; no purchase is necessary to test any part or functionality of BC3.

This forum thread has evolved into a couple separate requests: touching the file name of aligned items (without needing to copy the full folder/file), and auto-detecting folders or files that have been renamed and align them. Both of which are projects we have not been able to tackle yet.

If you'd like to see what we have been up to, our Changelog for BC3 is here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/ChangeLog.txt
        And for BC4's Beta, it's here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/beta.php?zz=beta4_log
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• superdantronix
          Visitor
          • Mar 2012

Thanks, Aaron, for the quick reply, as usual. I am considerably disappointed that I can line them up and merge the files, but not the folders. I just can't imagine it's that much more of a step for the program, at that point, to also rename the folders.

That being said, I am otherwise extremely pleased with Beyond Compare. I use it very often and it is leaps and bounds above the other comparison programs I've used. I'm not sure I really ever use the Pro features, though.

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by "(either trimming with our Rename action...)"?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Our "Rename" supports DOS Masks or Regular Expressions. If you were trying to trim off the customized name and leave just the date, you could define a Regular Expression where the old mask matches the whole name, then the new mask is just the first half of that old name (trimming off the customized name). I'm not certain which direction your sync is performed, but if you needed to Copy the customized name over, that wouldn't be this feature.

The Pro feature you were using was the Alignment Overrides (assuming you still have different names). That's what allows the folders of different names to align to copy the files left and right. In the Std version, we would need to rename the folders to all have equal names manually, at which point because they are equal they'd just align without issue.

You can see a full list of the Pro specific features here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop.php?zz=kb_editions
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• 65Cobra427SC
              New User
              • Mar 2017

The reason I'm posting here is because this was the only thread I could find that dealt with the same issue I've been having. I've just ignored it over the years and let BC do it's thing instead of just renaming the folder myself. Problem is, as the years go on there are more and more folders with more and larger files, so not only isn't this practical anymore but it's extremely time consuming. I'm currently running BC4 Pro so I'm hoping either (a) it's now able to handle this issue but I'm doing something wrong, or (b) someone has since written a script to handle this issue and is willing to share it. Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

This varies a little bit depending on the nature of the renames.

By default, any rename will be a difference that breaks alignment, and the items (folders or files) will be considered orphans.

BC4 Pro's Alignment Override can define a rule (regular expression) to match and align files/folders that match the rule. This requires "knowing" the different text of the name, however. Such as file.txt = file-Renamed.txt. The rule can mask for "file", but not "-Renamed".

We do not have the ability to scan and align by other criteria automatically. It's a very large project to tackle, but is something on our wishlist.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• David.P
                  Visitor
                  • Mar 2012

Hello all,

I just stumbled across this thread. I feel similar to FreeSurfer and purchase above. For years, I've been trying all available sync tools in search of the simplest and best one that will recognize and handle renamed/moved files and folders.

For some reason, it seems that I haven't tried Beyond Compare yet.

Hence my question, has the renamed/moved files and folders recognition feature been implemented in the meantime?

Many thanks
                  David

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Not beyond the feature set mentioned in this thread. BC4's alignment occurs before the comparison, so (a)Renamed items must be handled with the Alignment Overrides feature to define the rename as a rule, which can then allow the items to align.

(b)Moved items won't align because in three of the four view modes, subfolder structure is important to the alignment, so the items won't align. In the fourth view mode, Ignore Folder Structure, all subfolders are removed and all files are placed in a single, big bucket on one side. This does allow moved items to align, but assumes no duplicated file names per side, since the alignment still has to occur before the comparison. This can result in the 'wrong' file on the left aligning with another on the right, when there are many of the same name (ex: ReadMe.txt), and has to be manually adjusted with Align With.

So in both cases the answer can be yes, but with limitations or caveats, and it isn't an easy 'scan first, then align' solution.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...