X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abrian.Stemmet
    Visitor
    • Mar 2012

Beyond Compare 3 : How To Zip Files After Folder Sync

I would like to mirror two folders and after the sync has been done I would like the folder to be zipped. Is this possible in Beyond Compare 3?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can use the Copy To Folder command to copy a selection to a .zip file. To do so, type in a manual path that ends with a .zip; if the zip does not exist it will be created. This would create a third location: the zip.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Abrian.Stemmet
      Visitor
      • Mar 2012

Thanks Aaron,
      Please help me locate the Copy To Folder command? Not sure how to do that?

I currently have a Folder Sync with Mirror to Right selection. How do I zip the result?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The Copy to Folder command isn't available in the Folder Sync. If you open your comparison in the Folder Compare, the command is "Actions > Copy to Folder".
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

In addition to Chris' suggestion, you can easily switch from a Folder Compare or Folder Sync using the Session menu -> Sync base folders, or Session menu -> Compare base folders.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Abrian.Stemmet
            Visitor
            • Mar 2012

Hi Aaron,

So there is no way to automate a Folder Sync, followed with a zip of the result? Something like Microsoft Outlook. Very big file 600Mb. I would like to compare to folders Local and Server. Obviously there will be changes so it will be copied to the server. Then I would like it to be zipped?

Any ideas?

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Automation in Beyond Compare can only be accomplished from the Command Line using BC Scripting. BC Scripting can perform several steps in sequence when you run a specific, manually created script file from the command line; this can then be made a Windows Scheduled Task to automate it. I would recommend learning the steps in the graphical interface first, as it will then be much easier to determine which steps you want to follow when scripting.

There are two main approaches to this type of backup. First, you can compare directly against a Zip file and update it. To do this, you would zip one of the directories, or create a copy of a previous version of the directory.zip. Then you can compare directly against another folder, and sync into the zip. Second, you can compare two folders and copy any differences found to a third location (a folder or a zip). To do this, compare the two folders, set the display filters to show only the files you want, then use the Edit menu -> Expand All, Edit menu -> Select All Files, and the Shift+ArrowKeys to select only the files you want to back-up. Then use the Copy To Folder command to copy them into a new .zip file.

Please watch any previews and test with test data or already backed up data. Overwrite, deletions, or syncs are not Undo-able actions.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...