X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayneo
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2004

complex made simple

I have found Beyond Compare to be very easy to use, so I don't really need to use this forum. However, in case anyone is wondering how Beyond Compare might make life easier for them, here is what I just did.

I needed to compare two versions of compiled java class libraries. However, one of them was located on a networked Linux box, on an old Windows 98 partition, and was zipped up in a jar file.

This nightmare comparison task was very easy with Beyond Compare. First, I downloaded the rules for java class files (http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...c=kb_morerules). Then, it was a simple FTP to the Linux box (using the built- in FTP tool), which already had a symbolic link to the Windows partition. I was able to browse right to the .jar files in question, and clicking on them opened them right up. The classes were decompiled as java and all differences were easy to find and see. Not only that, the FTP browser allowed me to copy from the Linux box to my current Windows XP machine!

Beautiful!
Working...