X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcalman
    Enthusiast
    • Jun 2004

Compare arbitrary files on same side of folder comparison

Is there a way to select two files on the same side of a folder comparison, and compare them to each other rather than to a file on the other side? Situations that might require this would be where an editor leaves a backup copy or one copys a file and renames the original for a trial change.

For example, I would like to compare the two files on the left side below:
  • snidely.too
    Expert
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kcalman
    Is there a way to select two files on the same side of a folder comparison, and compare them to each other rather than to a file on the other side? Situations that might require this would be where an editor leaves a backup copy or one copys a file and renames the original for a trial change.

For example, I would like to compare the two files on the left side below:
    I think what you want is "compare to". I usually use the context menu to set this up: right-click on, say, NOTICE_1.txt, which brings up the menu, select "compare to" (the menu then disappears), and click on the desired 2nd file.

If you have a file already selected, then F7 gives you same function. In both cases, the 2nd file ends up on the right side of the file comparison.

/dps

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you select exactly two files, you can right click and select Quick Compare to open a child compare comparing just those two files. How does this work for you?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kcalman
        Enthusiast
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by snidely.too
        I think what you want is "compare to". I usually use the context menu to set this up: right-click on, say, NOTICE_1.txt, which brings up the menu, select "compare to" (the menu then disappears), and click on the desired 2nd file.

If you have a file already selected, then F7 gives you same function. In both cases, the 2nd file ends up on the right side of the file comparison.
        /dps

Originally posted by Aaron
        Hello,
        If you select exactly two files, you can right click and select Quick Compare to open a child compare comparing just those two files. How does this work for you?
        Both of these worked for me, I don't know why they weren't obvious to me that that is what they would do... Thanks.

Comment

Working...