Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default [SOLVED] VBA compare throwing "Conversion error"

    I'm running a portable installation of BC3 (just downloaded) and want to compare several Excel 2010 XLSM files.
    Thus I downloaded the additional file format "Microsoft Excel workbooks VBA" from this page.

    After loading the first file I'm presented with a "Conversion Error" and I don't know how to debug this.

    Does anybody have experience with this specific converter?

    EDIT
    Solution: XLSM VBA comparison does not work with a portable installation. Choose the regular installation and it will work just fine.
    Last edited by emelie; 13-Feb-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added solution i

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,584

    Default

    Does your system have Microsoft Excel installed? The add-on requires Excel, so if it's not installed it won't work.

    If you do have Excel installed on your system, what version of Excel do you have?
    Chris K Scooter Software

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Excel 2010 64bit is installed on my system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I'll answer myself this time
    Just tried this on another machine - the only difference being that the installation was not portable but regular.
    Now it worked.

    So, everybody else stumbling on this: XLSM VBA comparison does not work with a portable installation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    Hello,

    A portable install should be able to support the external conversion. We did a quick test here in the office and it seemed to work fine. I would guess one of two things:

    1) The portable install was in a location where the .vba script had security or permissions preventing it from running.

    2) The portable install was in a specific location so that the basic "Helpers\file.vba" file path definition was not sufficient to properly define it. To help fix this scenario, instead of using a simple relative path, please try changing it to an absolute path with "quotes" surrounding it. The path is defined in the Tools menu -> File Formats, select the specific format, Conversion tab, in the External Conversion command line.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Hey Aaron,

    I'm running into this error again.
    This time I tried following your advice:
    - the location of the script is within the application folder (c\program files\beyond compare\helpers) where the installer put it; so I guess there shouldn't be a permissions problem
    - I adjusted the path to an absolute one like you recommended

    Both things don't work and I still get "conversion error". Is there any way to debug this further? Log files..?

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,366

    Default

    Running a vba script is generally built-in functionality in Windows. Subsequently, some aggressive antivirus programs may try to block script from running.

    Are you comfortable running the script call directly from the command line? The Helpers directory and helper files are called from a simple command line call. You can find this command line in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, in the specific Excel format, in the Conversion tab.

    %s represents the source .xls file
    % represents the target .txt file

    Are you able to call the vba script from the command line, given a source excel and target .txt file? Does the command line have any extra errors present, or does the conversion work?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Hey Aaron, I already tried running the script from the command line.
    There is no additional error output and the target file isn't created.
    My current status is that the if-condition is never true because Err = 1004 after the workbook is opened in line 26.
    Maybe this has something to do with Windows 7 64bit / Office 2010 32bit?
    Just guessing here but I'm really at a loss - a couple of weeks ago this worked beautifully.

    Well I'm going to dig through this again later this week - will post further results then.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Some more results:
    After realizing that the script expects absolute full path + filename as parameters the target file gets created but it is empty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default Same problem

    Hi, I just tried this today using the same setup, except i'm using the standard version of beyond compare and excel 2010 64-bit.

    Getting a conversion error too. I tried lowering the security of macros but this didn't work either.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •