Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Unable to copy/delete ... Access is denied?

I am setting up a new laptop running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and BC Version 3.3.3 (build 14128).

I connected an external USB hard drive to sync some files and got errors such as this:

"2012-01-15 00:47:17 Unable to delete f:\d\Home\Computer\SONY VGN-NS130E\N360S200.exe: Access is denied"

The files intended to be deleted or overwritten are not read-only. What prevents BC from deleting or overwriting the files on the external USB hard drive?

Please help. Thanks!

Check the permissions on the USB drive. Win 7 is a lot more picky about exactly who can do what than earlier versions of Windows. If you (or at least the user you are running BC as) aren't the owner of the files, someone with administrator rights may need to give that user permission to delete file in that directory or the whole USB drive.

I am logged in as an administrator. I can also copy orphaned files to/from the USB hard disk. Just can't delete/overwrite existing files on the USB drive.

Right click on Beyond Compare's shortcut and select "Run As Administrator". Windows 7 doesn't run programs with full admin rights unless you "Run As Administrator".
    Chris K Scooter Software

OK I will give that a try. Thanks!

Default Seemingly random "Access is denied" errors during network copy

I am having a similar problem that affects copies with BC from my Win7 machine over the network to a Mac (running OS X 10.7.2). It seems to primarily (if not exclusively) affect files that I have updated on the Windows machine and am copying over to the Mac. Running BC as administrator unfortunately does not get rid of the "Access is denied" errors.

I initially thought the problem was with permissions on the files that I am updating on the Mac. However, they are not read-only on the Mac and I can even delete them from within BC by selecting them on the Mac side of the folder comparison. Even after the old file is deleted from the Mac, I cannot copy the updated version of it from Win7, so it seems there is something going on on the PC side. However, if I do the copy manually in Explorer (or from the Mac), there are no "Access is denied" errors, everything works just fine; the same files also copy without difficulty from within BC to an external (NTFS-formatted) hard disk.

Any idea what could be going on here?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

I have found that an older external USB hard drive has the access problem while a newer one does not. Go figure.

Hello,

Thanks for the report. So it only occurs randomly when overwriting files on the Mac side. For the "random" aspect, does it fail and then if you retry the same file it could then copy and work? Or once a pair of random files fails, it will give the "Access denied" error if you attempt the copy of that file again? Or does it always fail for any operation where an overwrite would occur?

If you can see it repeat for a specific pair of files, do you see an error if you then immediately call up Windows Explorer or My Computer, and try the same copy to the Mac (using Explorer instead of BC3 to perform the copy)?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks for the update. If there is newer firmware for the older external device, that might help. And the older device is just connecting over USB2? Does the older device also support other modes, such as acting as a NAS device if plugged directly into the network?

And, you are able to perform the delete using Windows Explorer, correct? Or does this give an error on the older device, too?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Once it decides that "Access is denied" for a file, the error recurs more or less consistently with that file -- even after I delete the Mac file that is to be replaced and usually after I restart BC3. It is therefore probably not "random" in the sense that BC is being arbitrary, but there is no noticeable pattern as to which files are affected or what I can do to prevent it. It does not occur with every overwrite, but it seems to happen only to updated files, not new ones.

Is there any particular information I should look for the next time this happens?