• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gurce
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2012

My modified File-Formats get lost after restarting app

Hiyas,

I've got the Linux version of BC3 (v3.3.3 - build 14128), and I'm noticing that when I modify the file-formats and press the 'save' button, these modified settings only exist as long as the app remains running.

If I close the bc3 app, then re-open it, these modified settings seem to get erased.

That's the gist of it, but I'll provide more detailed info below, in-case what I'm trying to achieve is the cause of my problem here.

The full story. I used to use your BC3 app via Windows, and was a big fan of the "Xml Tidied" file-format plug-in you have for it. Although now that I'm developing for Linux, I noticed that this plug-in was intended for Windows only.

Not deterred, I thought I might still be able to make it work, by adding manually adding details to the "conversion" tab for the "XML" file-format, so that it can run the "HtmlTidy.exe" tool via wine. I set the "Conversion" step as follows:

wine /path-to-plugin/HtmlTidy.exe -config /path-to-plugin/XML_tidied_config.txt -wrap 0 -o %t %s

I then clicked the "Save" button to preserve these changes. The HtmlTidy.exe is run successfully, and the xml diffs work fine.

However, once I close the app and re-open it. These modified file-format settings for XML are lost and I have to re-type them in

Well, hope you can shed some light on what's happening.

Cheers,
    Gurce
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

It sounds like the location your settings are stored in are Read-Only. BC3 is designed to be able to run from read-only media (such as burned to a CD), but in these cases we are not able to save changes back to the read-only location, such as any setting changes.

Which version of Linux are you currently running? Are your BCSetting.xml files browsable in your ~.\.beyondcompare directory?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Gurce
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2012

Hi Aaron,

I've had a look inside my "~/.beyondcompare" folder. There are many other files in there (such as BC3Key.txt, BCPreferences.xml), but not a "BCSettings.xml" file.

Oh, but I did notice a "BCFileFormats.xml" file in here. Upon starting the app, the file contains the following:

Code:
      <BCFileFormats>
      	<TTextFormat Value="%02XML">
      		<UseRes Value="True"/>
      	</TTextFormat>
      After I add the settings for conversion and press the 'Save' button, the file is modified to:

Code:
      <BCFileFormats>
      <BCFileFormats>
      		<ConvertKind Value="convertApp"/>
      		<ConvertLoadApp Value="wine /home/AUSTRALIA/gurcei/AlternativeFormats/HtmlTidy/HtmlTidy.exe -config /home/AUSTRALIA/gurcei/AlternativeFormats/HtmlTidy/XML_tidied_config.txt -wrap 0 -o %t %s"/>
      		<UseRes Value="True"/>
      	</TTextFormat>
      Ok then, that's a good sign that the app is saving these settings properly.

However, if I exit the program, then restart it, as it starts, this file is automatically modified, my setting gets removed and it returns back to:

Code:
      <BCFileFormats>
      		<UseRes Value="True"/>
      	</TTextFormat>
      Not sure why this is happening...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for that snippet of code. I am seeing the same behavior here with that external conversion definition. We'll get this tracked down and fixed.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

One workaround to try, if you rename your .exe file (htmltidy.exe) to a non-exe extension (htmltidy.prg) and edit the command line to call it that, does this work for you?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Gurce
            Enthusiast
            • Jan 2012

Awesome, that works fine. Just to confirm, after renaming from "HtmlTidy.exe" to "HtmlTidy.prg" and updating the conversion rule with this new filename, I can restart the app now and the conversion rule is still there (and hasn't been wipe out, as before with the .exe suffix).

Thanks for your help Aaron.

Cheers,
            Gurce

Comment

Working...