Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTP support

Default MTP support

Hello Scooter Software,

what about supporting MTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol), useful for portable devices?

Oliver

Hello,

Adding MTP support is on our Customer Wishlist; I'll add your notes to our entry. Were there specific devices you wished to compare against?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hello,

consider Android smartphones. Synchronisation is not a strength of Android (compared to Palmos).

Oliver

+1

BC is already the tool of titans and does everything you could wish for and more.

However MTP support would be nice...

I too would dealrly like this but since it has been on the BC wishlist for four years now, I'll ask: does anyone have a stopgap solution? Just a CLI .exe that did transfers would tide me over. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by obetz View Post
    Hello,

consider Android smartphones. Synchronisation is not a strength of Android (compared to Palmos).

Oliver
    FWIW, I use BC3 on a G2 just fine, in tethered mode. This is my default backup procedure, and photo-transfer method.

I'm not sure I've made any attempt to use BC3 over a WiFi connection. I am not sure I've used BC3 against a DropBox directory, either.

/dps

Quote Originally Posted by snidely.too View Post
    FWIW, I use BC3 on a G2 just fine, in tethered mode.
    What do you mean by "tethered mode" (regarding this topic)?

I know two USB modes to access the phone's storage:

1. MTP (this thread's topic), the default mode of my Galaxy S2 when connected to an USB host (PC). MTP claims to be transaction safe, so you don't need to "eject" the device. In this mode, I can use the phone.

Also other media players also support MTP.

2. MSC aka UMS (mass storage device). To start this mode, I need a bunch of taps, quite annoying. Besides this, no other application can run as long the phone is in this mode.

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by obetz View Post
    What do you mean by "tethered mode" (regarding this topic)?

I know two USB modes to access the phone's storage:

1. MTP (this thread's topic), the default mode of my Galaxy S2 when connected to an USB host (PC). MTP claims to be transaction safe, so you don't need to "eject" the device. In this mode, I can use the phone.

Also other media players also support MTP.

2. MSC aka UMS (mass storage device). To start this mode, I need a bunch of taps, quite annoying. Besides this, no other application can run as long the phone is in this mode.

Oliver
    I guess MSC/UMS, because I get a prompt from the phone with a button "to turn on USB storage", and when I do, it notes that the SD card is unavailable to on-phone applications, and that affected apps will be stopped.

So that takes me 3 extra taps (well, one swipe and 2 taps).

FWIW, I have just tried running FTPServer on the phone to allow BC3 to connect by WiFi; it seems to work just fine, although it takes a bunch of taps for the first setup (I hadn't connected the phone to the current WiFi before, so I had to enter the password there, as well as checking the config of FTPServer). For a few simple tests, it seems to work just fine.

/dps

Default MTP mode

Just giving a bump to MTP mode. I am also using an android phone, and sync'ing my pictures/music/books with BC would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by moymike View Post
    Just giving a bump to MTP mode. I am also using an android phone
    Meanwhile BC does MSC mode. Does that work on your Android?