• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tla45
    Visitor
    • Nov 2011

filename output report

Hello,
    Is there a way in BC3 to write a script that will allow me to print a text file of a list of filenames that I copied from one folder to another? I'm unsure on how to do this with the report command.

Thanks.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The report command outputs comparison results, not a list of files copied.

If you want to output a list of files being copied, use the log command in your script. If you place "log verbose c:\log.txt" as the first line of your script, the log file will list all files copied, deleted, and moved.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• tla45
      Visitor
      • Nov 2011

Thanks Chris. This is a great start. But the log is too detailed. I would like to create a filename only text list. Is there a way to create a text file of only the filenames that I have copied from source to destination? My purpose for this is to use this master list as a way to keep track of what filenames I've already copied from a source folder to the destination folder (I have to move files between two PCs without a network interface using a USB). As the files grow excessively large and long, I don't want to have to keep re-copying files that have already been backed up. Plus, I don't think the files will all fit onto my USB drive to move them from one PC to another. Thanks.

Comment

• tla45
        Visitor
        • Nov 2011

Chris,
        Thanks again for your response. Does BC3 scripts have a way to do for loops and comparison statements inside the script? It seems to be more command line, high-level based, and I think I need something more low level to accomplish my task at hand. Thanks again!

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Script is a series of sequential commands. You can 'loop' (re-perform) manually if you repeat the commands in order that you wish to perform.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 normally can be configured to detect files that are different or equal, and that is what is used to determine if files should be copied. Once a file is copied, the timestamp/size is often equal*. Are you finding this is not the case and that the comparison itself is not useful for determining which files you want to transfer?

*(unless the server is setting the destination timestamp to the current time, at which point you can Touch the local file to update it, or vice versa; if size is changing, you may need to change from ASCII to Binary transfers if over an FTP).
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...