X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andomar
    Visitor
    • Sep 2011

Mercurial's hg bcomp exits before BC is done

Hi, I'm using Mercurial. When I run "hg bcomp ." on a directory with multiple changes, hg puts both branches in a temp directory and asks Beyond Compare to compare them. This works fine and BC even displays the filenames.

However, "hg bcomp" exits right after starting Beyond Compare. When it exits it cleans up the directory, so there's nothing left to see.

Is there any way around this?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which version and OS of Mercurial are you currently using? Is it one of the later versions (like TortoiseHG 2.0.2+ on Windows) that has "beyondcompare3" in the dropdown, or did you set it up manually following the instructions here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Andomar
      Visitor
      • Sep 2011

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running Windows Server 2003. Mercurial's "hg --version" returns:

Code:
          Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 1.9+10-e9264b45237d)
      I followed the instructions in the post you linked. It works fine for single files, but a change that spans multiple files fails in the way I described.

Kind Regards,
      Andomar

Comment

• Andomar
        Visitor
        • Sep 2011

One solution is to point Mercurial at a .cmd file instead, like:
        Code:
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %*
        pause
        This works, but you have to click away the pause at the end.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello Andomar,

Thanks for the feedback and workaround. The KB article goes into detail on how to setup BC3 as the Text Diff or Text Merge tools, but we don't have a good article or method as a directory/revision diff tool. We'll have to look into this, but the pause method does seem to work with Mercurial HG (or TortoiseHG).
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• yasmins
            New User
            • Oct 2011

Worked with BCompare.exe

I ran into the same problem with the temp files getting deleted too soon, but changing the cmd.bcomp from BComp.exe to BCompare.exe in my .hgrc file fixed the problem. I got this solution from the post:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...65&postcount=1

From the rest of that thread it seems this is not be the way Scooter feels we should go. But it has the advantage of actually working as opposed to not...

Comment

Working...