X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Take Both (Ctrl-B)

In the left pane, Ctrl+B is associated with "Take Left Then Right".
    In the right pane, wouldn't it make sense to have Ctrl+B "Take Right Then Left"?
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Erik
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Michael,

You should assign a shortcut to "Take Right Then Left". In the next release, we will have the default for it be [Shift+Ctrl+B].
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Erik
      In the next release, we will have the default for it be [Shift+Ctrl+B].
      I would much prefer that Ctrl+B take the active pane first, then the other. And the Shift+Ctrl+B take the inactive pane first, then the other.

However, I do understand that it might be confusing if someone is not aware of which pane is active, or if the center pane is active... so I'll bow to your decision on how to handle it. Thanks.
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Tim
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Michael. I liked your suggestion also, until we discussed focus on the output pane, where the two distinct commands might be useful.
        Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

• Scot
          Visitor
          • Dec 2007

How does 'take right then left' work?

I have a 3-way compare with a conflict line (2 separate edits) and I'd like to use both edits (i.e. both edits added text to the original line). When I am on the conflicted line and select 'take right then left', an empty line is inserted above the original in the center and left panes and after the original line in the right pane. Also, the output pane ends up with two lines (first the right pane copy, then the left pane copy). I take it this feature merges both the left and right lines (or sections?) into the output (one after the other)? Is it possible to merge both edits into the same line (this is what I was expecting)?

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hi Scot,

There isn't a command that will merge the left and right lines into a single line. "Take Left then Right" and "Take Right then Left" will merge the left and right sides into the output as separate lines.

You'll have to manually edit the output to make the two lines a single line.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• dvheuvel
              Visitor
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Chris
              Hi Scot,

There isn't a command that will merge the left and right lines into a single line. "Take Left then Right" and "Take Right then Left" will merge the left and right sides into the output as separate lines.

You'll have to manually edit the output to make the two lines a single line.
              really old thread but I thought I'd add:

would be nice if you could do this action by clicking the arrows. Maybe ctrl+click on the "left arrow" means left then right and ctril+click on the right arrow means right then left.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion to improve the GUI. I'll add it to our Customer Wishlist.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• benze
                  New User
                  • Sep 2018

Has this been addressed yet? Does the latest version of BC include any functionality to Take Both from the GUI directly?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The UI improvements have not been tackled. The commands themselves do exist in the program, in the Edit menu -> Take Left Then Right, or with the hotkey.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pothuvsr
                      New User
                      • Sep 2018

Hello,

I have a question related to three way folder compare could someone please share the script to compare folders in 3-way and generate a report. If there is a way to auto-merge along with report generation would be great. If not then separate script for auto-merge which has no conflicts in text files of folders.

Thanks,
                      Venkat.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can compare two folders and generate a folder-report with script. I would recommend using the interface first, to test out different configurations and find the report that works best. The folder-report is side by side with two targets, but does not support 3 folders. This would take two reports (A to B, and B to C).

The Folder Merge does not support automated folder merging. This would have to be done with the graphical interface Folder Merge session. File Merges (3 input text files and a 4th output file) can be automated using the Command Line arguments documented in the Help file -> Command Line Reference chapter.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...