• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adlan
    Visitor
    • Aug 2011

Suggested Feature - Compare permissions

Hi,
    I think beyond compare is a fantastic product, I have licenses at home and work and use it all the time. One thing that I think would be a great feature to add to folder compare (as an option, unselected by default) is to compare file and folder permissions when comparing folders.

Beyond compare is fantastic for trouble shooting issues with software not working, especially now that Registry compare has been added and permissions are another really common reason for software getting broken.

Cheers
    Andrew.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. This is on our Customer Wishlist, and I'll add your notes to our entry.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• coroner71
      New User
      • Dec 2012

Hey there,

I have been a user of Beyond Compare for many years for QA purposes... I, too, am now in need of functionality that would allow for the comparison of security permissions. This would greatly assist to verify integrity of propagated folder permissions on newly installed files and folders.

Please & thanks
      cheers,
      coroner71

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

As a workaround until BC supports comparison of permissions, you can use Microsoft's Icacls tool to dump permissions to a text file, then compare the text files in Beyond Compare's Text Compare.

To dump permissions for a folder and all of its contents to a text file, use the command:

icacls c:\folder1 /T > c:\folder1perms.txt
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...